Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Missing print option during right-click

Status
Not open for further replies.

ernesth

Technical User
Jan 17, 2002
US
Hello,
I am running Windows XP SP1. When I right-click on a file (such as a .txt or a .rtf) I am not getting the 'print' option. I have a printer installed which works correctly, and the files that I right-click on are associated with an application (i.e., .txt files with notepad). I have checked this feature on every win xp machine I have seen and I always get the 'print' option when I right-click on a file -- except on this one machine.
This is causing an issue because I am have a vb app which uses a shellexecute command (windows api call) to print .rtf files -- and this is the only machine where this command does not work (I do not get any errors, it just runs the code and doesn't print the file). I know that the two are related -- the missing print option, and the non-functioning api call.
Is there a security or registry setting that I am not aware of that addresses this, or a missing .dll?
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
ernesth

This is controlled in the File Types Tab of the folder options dialog. Open My computer > Click on Tools > Click On Folder Options > Click on the File Types Tab > Scroll down to the .txt entry > Highlight and click Advanced Button.

You should have an action entitled "print". If not click on new.

In the action box type "print" (without the quotes) and in the "Application used to perform this action:" box type "C:\WINDOWS\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE /p %1" (again without the quotes)

Tick the Use DDE box and enter "NOTEPAD" under application (Without quotes but capital letters) and "system" under Topic (need i say, without quotes).

Keep clicking on ok until you get back to My Computer, now you can test by finding a txt file and right clicking.

.txt files also have a "printto" option. All setting are the same apart from application, which is C:\WINDOWS\system32\notepad.exe /pt "%1" "%2" "%3" "%4"

Repeat the process for any other file types and you should be set.

Greg Palmer
Free Software for Adminstrators

Hello,
Thanks, your reply was it exactly. Although this worked, why would none of the files (i.e., .txt, .rtf, .bat, etc) have this action by default as with other win xp machines?

ernesth

I am not sure there is a good answer to your underlying question; so many applications fool with the file association entries in the registry that it is tough to find one specific cause.

Spend a little time here:
Doug Knox has created a very solid list of registry files to restore the normal file association entries.

Quick and sweet as a solution to a nagging issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back