Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Missing performance counters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buggeroo

Technical User
Apr 5, 2001
DK
I recently used the performance monitor in Windows XP for the first time (for this install)
It worked fine, but suddenly, when I wanted to add some counters, a lot of the objects just weren't there. fx 'memory' and 'processor' was missing.
Does anyone have an idea how this might have happened and what I might do to fix it?

1. Did you save your perfmon settins?
2. Did you create them only in Author mode? Or did you set the all users and limited users mode?
3. Does the additional user have permission/access rights to perfmon and other aspects of the MMC?

Did not change any settings/create a new console. Just start->programs->admin tools->performance
all I see now is a bunch of .NET and ASP objects

My user is administrator.

.ASP objects?

Try start, run, perfmon

Do you still see .ASP and .NET objects?

It is just not possible. WMI does not monitor .ASP objects.

I've got 'Active Server Pages', 'ASP.NET', 'ASP.NET Applications', and a few others...

Found this error in the application log:

The timeout waiting for the performance data collection function "PerfProc" in the "C:\WINDOWS\system32\perfproc.dll" Library to finish has expired. There may be a problem with this extensible counter or the service it is collecting data from or the system may have been very busy when this call was attempted.

I'll try replacing this file with the one from the cd.

I do not think you need to do anything with the CD.

On the perfmon monitor screen there are at the top of the graphing windows some symbols. Select the big "+" symbol, and select some different counters.

It sounds as if you are trying to monitor page counts from the IIs server. Pick a different catagory (there are a lot of catagories), click to expand to see the individual counters available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back