Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Missing Perfmon Counters In XP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

IHateXP

Technical User
May 28, 2002
GB
Hello, I'd appreciate a little help on something that is doing my nut in. I am running an AMD Semperon CPU and for some strange reason I don't have a Processor counter/object in Perfmon B-(

I am running Win XP Pro SP2 and every SP & Update has been applied.

I notice that Perfmon on my PC is an ActiveX Snap in System Monitor Control is this normal

The Counters go from Print Queue, Process, PSched Flow missing out the all important Processor Counter

Thanks in advance

Try the winmgmt /clearadap from a command prompt.

How to Troubleshoot WinMgmt-Based Performance Counter Errors

Do you have anything like this in the Event Viewer -

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: WinMgmt
Event Category: None
Event ID: 41

If you have any similar errors try searching this site.

When I start Perfmon I notice that the Help has an ActiveX tab which brings up the message "The ActiveX Control snap-in allows you to add an ActiveX control to your console."

Thanks mate, I don't have any errors in the Event Viewer which makes it more irritating, I tried what you suggested no change unfortunately but thanks for the input.

If you have any more ideas I'd appreciate it as my nut is fryed LOL :cool:

I suspect the Sempron driver is missing this object.
Call AMD tech support.

Interestingly I notice that the counter you want is the Default selection. What do you get when you type Perform.msc in the Start Run box? You might be looking at what you want, or all that is available?

"The Processor object is selected by default."

How to manage System Monitor counters in Windows XP

However it (Processor) is still listed as part of all the counters.

Bill has had a good thought in his post.

Well Bill G Doesn't know his ear from his elbow :) When I run Perfmon.msc my default object is Browser LOL. I am waiting to hear back from AMD as none of the Downloads on AMD's site are of any use :-( But keep up the good suggestions as I say been down the usual routes and this one is a gud yun :cool:

The other side of the coin is that maybe Mr Gates is right (this time) and there is something wrong at your end.

It wouldn't hurt to check out your System files for any corruption.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

Done that, No problems found after running SFC :-( , perfmon still has no Proccesor Counter... Good one though hadn't tried that :cool:

I have found some information...but if it will fix it is a different story.

"My Perfmon counters have disappeared, been replaced with numbers or stopped working. How do I get them back?
When a perfmon crashes or doesn't report data for a while Windows disables it and leaves it disabled. You will probably find relevant events in your event log. Perfmons might also become disabled for other less obvious reasons eg. installing a service pack or a .NET distribution.

You can view the status of your perfmons and enable/disable them using the exctrlst.exe tool from Microsoft, which can be obtained as part of the Windows 2000 resource kit that can be downloaded from here. (Note: this tool also works in Windows XP)

You can also manually rebuild your performance counter library values by following the instructions in this MS article if the exctrlst.exe tool does not work.

There are also reports that disabling your pagefile can break the PerfOs service. Try enabling your pagefile first and then reenabling the perfmons if you have your pagefile disabled. More information here."

Also a few links might be worth checking...

How to Troubleshoot WinMgmt-Based Performance Counter Errors

PRB: Performance Object Is Not Displayed in Performance Monitor

Good luck.

---
Make the best use of what is in your power, and take the rest as it happens.

Being trying that so far all I get is: -
Unable to open driver SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\*.*\Performance. Status: 2
Regardless of what I try :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back