Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

missing or corrupted hal.dll

Status
Not open for further replies.

pingnutech

Technical User
Oct 16, 2008
US
I have read a couple of articles about the boot.ini file and how to use the recovery console. My concern is the correct syntax, (spelled wrong). Could someone help me out please.

Boot from your XP Setup CD and enter the Recovery Console
• Run "Attrib -H -R -S" on the C:\Boot.ini file
• Delete the C:\Boot.ini file
• Run "Bootcfg /Rebuild"
• Run Fixboot

This is what everyone is talking about. Help!?

Thanks

Looks like "everyone" is correct...although I would, for safety's sake, rename the boot.ini file to "boot.old" rather than deleting it. Even omitting that step, you should be good to go...but get another opinion than mine![smile]

Tony

Users helping Users...

Looks right to me... and do what Tony suggested. It may come in handy as a "Just in Case" feature. The file will only take up a little space (like micro-sized).

Ken

"cckens is a nick... why the H-E- double-hockey-sticks am I using a nick for a name? Am I afraid of who I am?"
-me

cckens is a nick

...don't know why, but I think of chickens when I see that nick...maybe even choking chickens??? [smile]

Tony

Users helping Users...

Tony,
I am SO adding your line in my quote!

Ken

"cckens is a nick... why the H-E- double-hockey-sticks am I using a nick for a name? Am I afraid of who I am?"
-me

@pingnutech - I am with wahnula (Tony) on this one aswell...

wahnula said:
...don't know why, but I think of chickens when I see that nick...
me too...

wahnula said:
maybe even choking chickens???
ROFLMAOBTCASTC!!!!!!!!!

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Thanks for your help. How would I rename the bootini file. I know that sounds stupid. But could you please help me.

Thanks

Ben,

I had to submit ROFLMAOBTCASTC to my favorite decoding site, and they had never heard that one. It seems to be a German thing, as the only site that has defined the acronym (according to Google) are fachinformatiker.de

Now urbandictionary knows about it, we'll see if they publish it and make you fahous!

Tony

Users helping Users...

Tony - ROFLMAOBTCASTC - I got from an American Lady, way back, too boot she was Texan (El Paso)... btw. I hope not that they make me FAHOUS (sounds like a strange state of mind)...

Ben

After trying all of the above. The drive was bad. I did a scan disk and it could only get to 25%. Thanks for the help.

pingnutech - thanks for posting back with the problem solution...

I at least had assumed that you already had checked the drive prior to attempting to fix this...

my bad, that is usually what I do first, checking the drive for correct operation, as any attempt to fix things depend on the proper operation of the HDD...

Ben

OT UPDATE...not on the OP's problem but on my submission to The Urban Dictionary. They must have a serious vetting process, I submitted ROFLMAOBTCASTC to them in October and just now got verification that it had been approved.

BadBigBen...you're published:

...and FAMOUS!

Sorry for the interruption, back to work, let this post drift down as it should, smoke 'em if ya got 'em...

Tony

Users helping Users...

Congrats on the entry in Urban Dictionary!

However, I was wondering about the OP's query, especially as the title of the thread is "missing or corrupted hal.dll" and there has been no reference to it.

I was drawn here by an identical error on a lap top.

I followed the procedure indicated here:
but, to cut a long story short, I ended up reverting everything back to "as new", using the intallation image from the hidden restore partition as the other options didn't work.

Liverpool: Capital of Culture 2008
Anfield: Capital of Football since 1892
Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back