Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Missing Office Startup Assistant

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonofAdam

Technical User
Jun 14, 2002
US
I am running Office Home & Student 2007 in Vista. I seem to be missing a feature called the Office Startup Assistant. I looked at "Frequently asked questions about
the Office Startup Assistant in the 2007 Office suites and in Office 2003" for more information". For 2007 Microsoft Office, it points me to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12 to find the Osa.exe file. However, I was unable to find that file in the place they suggest nor did a
search turn up the file. In doing this search, I do have my Folder Options set to Show hidden files and folders, and Hide protected operating system files is unchecked, but osa.exe is not found. Perhaps this feature is not
installed on my Office 2007 for Home & Student?

Help appreciated.

John

login as Admin and try Add/Remove programs for Office 2007 under control panel and check "Office Shared Features" node. is the "New and Open Microsoft Office Document Shortcuts" option set to "Run from My Computer"? if it's not, set it to install locally, click "Continue" and see if osa.exe gets installed on your system.

nor sure, but there may be a download available from MS. btw, osa is a memory hog, at least that's what i've heard.
i believe osa is the same as the old office bar.

onedtent -- following your suggestion; however, "New and Open...Shortcuts" has a red X indicating 'Not Available'. I then looked at the Installation Options on my original retail CD and the "New and Open...Shortcuts" also has a red X there also. I was looking for this to possibly speed up the opening of Office files from my desktop; if it is only the old office bar, I probably will not bother. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back