Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

missing nmbd service?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomslacks

Technical User
Mar 30, 2002
US
Hello all;

I am a Linux novice and am trying to setup a red hat 7.3 Linux file server for my Windows 2K & Mac OSX home network. I have tried several simple smb.conf setups and am able to get online with the Linux box. My linux box is getting a address from DHCP but i cant see it in the workgroups. I tried to restart the smb service with

service smb restart and got
shutting down smb services OK
shutting down nmb service failed
starting smb service OK
starting nmb service failed

I see that the nmb service is problem but it is not listed in the Service Configuration. So where is it? lol i need help in trying to reinstall the nmb service and why it was not installed when i choose the windows file server option during the install. Or do I just have other problems?

T

hi,
I got the problem same as you describe, and then I checked
ip configuration using ifconfig and I found only loopback interface that exist. I try input /etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart and then interface eth0 got ip address from DHCP server. after that I restart samba service and nmbd ran well.

regards
Herri,
Jakarta Indonesia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back