Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Missing MS Office Folder in Program Files

Status
Not open for further replies.

warshauer

IS-IT--Management
Mar 19, 2006
US
Today I noticed that the folder for my office applications are not in the program files list. they are in the path C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11.

I don't recall seeing this folder(OFFICE11). I do remember Oceans 11 and 12, ha ha, Any whoo, Is this folder normal? If so what happen to the folder in the program files when going the path of the start button.

Hi warshauer,

I'm not really sure what your problem is. What do you think is missing from where? What can't you do, or see?

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11 is the default installation folder for Office 2003.

From Start > All Programs you should see an option for "Microsoft Office" in the list from which you can select the desired Office Application. This is a physically different folder (created or amended by the install process) containing a lot of shortcuts to the Office11 folder above (and maybe others).

Enjoy,
Tony

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We want to help you; help us to do it by reading this: Before you ask a question.

Professional Office Developers Association

Tony,
Thank you for responding,
Click START, Click ALL PROGRAMS-----
There should be a folder in that list
called Microsoft Office. That folder is
not there. Its just gone....

I don't know if repairing the installation would bring that back or not - might be worth a try (I can't easily check at the moment).

Or ... you can, theoretically, recreate it manually. It lives in Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs and, depending on what install options you used (and what versions of Office you have installed), contains shortcuts to Word, Excel, etc. and a sub-folder called "Microsoft Office Tools" with further shortcuts to tools such as Language Settings.

As I write this I realise it will be awkward unless you can copy from somebody else's machine. Best bet is to try the Detect and repair option first I think.

Enjoy,
Tony

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We want to help you; help us to do it by reading this: Before you ask a question.

Professional Office Developers Association

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back