Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Missing Main Menu Bar 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

brau

Programmer
Feb 15, 2001
US
I have lost the main menu bar completly from my Word window. I've tried Alt F, esc, and even repairing Office setup. If I use ctl F I can get the find dialog box and some others but just can't get to the main menu. Any Ideas?
Thanks, Bob

try using the shift key. With most MS applications, if you hold down the shift key when starting the program it will bypass whatever is causing the menus to be hidden. Once they are back up you can go through the options menu to make sure that they are all checked and they should stay. Hope this helped!

Right-click any toolbar that you still have.
Choose customize.
Make sure "Menu Bar" is checked.

IS

Tried Shift while opening and that didn't work. Thanks for the suggestion.

Tried Shift while opening and that didn't work. Thanks for the suggestion.

What version of Word '95 '97 or 2000 or XP???

What is your Windows Desktop resolution???

Click the "View" Menu, "Tool Bars", menu
Is there a checkbox in front of "Standard" and "Formatting"

some times un-checking them and re-checking them shows where they are "Docked" in Word.

DougP, MCP

Visit my WEB site to see how Bar-codes can help you be more productive

I am using word 2000 and have absolutely no menus or toolbars showing in word so I don't have anything to customize or to check/uncheck. I've also tried to click around the screen to find hidden menus or even change size. My other MS Apps are fine.
Thanks, Bob

Have you tried renaming your normal.dot

you could also try this. not sure If it will work because I can't test it.

open word the press Alt+F11 to enter VB Editor.

Paste this code in to a module then hit play.

Private Sub test()
Dim cb As CommandBar
For Each cb In CommandBars
If cb.Name = "Menu Bar" Then
cb.Protection = msoBarNoProtection
cb.Visible = True
End If
Next cb
End Sub

Sorry DarkSun, I ran the sub and nothing changed, it did run but so no change. Is there something else I needed to do? How do I know it really did what it was suppose to do? I also am not sure what you mean in changing the name or normal.dot, couldn't find anything in word help on this either.
Thanks again, Bob

Try this code instead, let me know what message you get.

The menu bar should appear in the usual place once this macro has run.

Private Sub test()
Dim cb As CommandBar
Dim Found As Boolean

For Each cb In CommandBars
If cb.Name = "Menu Bar" Then
cb.Protection = msoBarNoProtection
cb.Visible = True
cb.Position = msoBarTop
Found = True
End If
Next cb

If Found = True Then MsgBox "Done" Else MsgBox "Couldn't find bar"
End Sub

Normal.dot is the master template file which should be located in your office directory. This file holds the information for which menus to display.

Search for Normal.dot on your hard drive and rename it to Normal.old. then load Word. not sure if this will fix it though.

Well I gave it a try. Didn't work. In running the code I got the Couldn't find bar message. I also copied the Normal.dot file from my computer in my profile and in my program file folders and replaced them in the other computer to no success other than it didn't like the file I used in the program file folder, it came up with an error that it couldn't load the file.
I stepped through the code you sent me and it did find alot of command bars though.
Any other Ideas?

thanks for your help, I did create a custom menu for this computer but it's past the point for me just to let it go, I need to figure out what's wrong here.

Bob

Thanks to Donna for the solution to my problem. Perfect fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back