Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Missing letters

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtomasone

Technical User
Nov 13, 2001
US
I have another weird one for you. My supervisor showed me a reply to an email that he received. In the body, there was a name that looks like was misspelled. When he checked his original outgoing email, it was spelled correctly. For example: outgoing name (in the body) shows "Howie" but the reply (in the body) shows it as: Howe. He knows he did not send it out that way. He has seen it other times do this. He showed me as well. I checked the knowledgebase but had a tough time trying to word the seach!

GroupWise 6.5 sp4
Netware 5 backend

Got a clue?

Janis

Janis Tomasone
Senior Computer Programmer/Analyst

Just to let you know, this was not in the username, just in the message itself. Would frequent contacts do that as well in the body of the message?

Janis Tomasone

It's possible, I've seen similar things. sometimes the Frequent contact list is the biggest pain in the butt. Especially if users have a list that has built up over several years and they never clean it out.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

If the Sent item shows the correct spelling, it may be possible that the person who replied accidentally deleted the letter (clicked somewhere in the message and hit the delete key, then hit the up arrow to go to the top of the message, something like that). If he had spell-check or something going on, it would be misspelled in both the sent item and the replied item. But if I'm understanding you correctly, it's spelled correctly in the sent item?

I found out what it is. It was the Quick Correct working. It didn't know what "Howie" was so it changed it to Howe. Now, I don't know what it thinks "Howe" is (maybe a form of Indian greeting?) So, in effect, when user A sent an email to user B and then he replied, Quick correct "corrected the name in the body and sent it back.
All is well. I told user B to turn it off...

Thanks for your help!
janis

Janis Tomasone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back