Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Missing hard drive space

Status
Not open for further replies.

duke11

Technical User
Jan 16, 2003
CA
I'm running Windows XP professional and the pie for my hard drive shows I am using 15.6 Gig but when I select everything on the right hand side in Windows explorer (view all files selected in options) and select properties it shows I am using only 6.15 Gig. I emptied the Norton protected recyle bin and it made very little difference.
Any ideas?

It appears to be the System Restore as System volume information is over 8 Gigs. My system restore never worked and I don't use it anyway (I just make an image of my drive).
Can I just delete the files in the System Volume information Folder?

Try running AdAware from It is a freeware download (for personal use). You may have gotten infected by "Brilliant Digital". This crap installs itself in your computer and the company sells HDD Space and System Resources. Good Luck!

Disable System Restore:

Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore. Disabling System Restore removes all entries.

310405 - How to Turn On and Turn Off System Restore in Windows XP

Turn Off System Restore.

To turn off System Restore, follow these steps:
Click Start, then right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
Click to select the Turn off System Restore check box (or the Turn off System Restore on all drives check box), and then click OK.
Click Yes when you receive the prompt to the turn off System Restore.

Turn On System Restore.

To turn on System Restore, follow these steps:
Click Start, then right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
Click to clear the Turn off System Restore check box (or the Turn off System Restore on all drives check box), and then click OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back