Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Missing folders in DNS forward lookup zone

Status
Not open for further replies.

elquiff

Technical User
Mar 5, 2003
GB
I appear to be missing folders in forward lookup zone
_msdcs
_sites
_tcp
_udp

Could someone point me in the right direction of how to recreate them.

Thanks in advance

Make sure the DC is pointing to that DNS server and make sure dynamic updates is enabled on the zone. Then do an ipconfig /flushdns and the stop and start the netlogon service.

If they do not come back after doing that, you have other issues going on.

Need more info. Were they there or is this a new setup? If not new, how long gone. Is the machine that is missing these folders the dns server? If so, it should be pointing to itself.

Glen A. Johnson
"Give the laziest man the hardest job and he'll find the easiest way to do it."

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

Will try your suggestions mlichstein when next in office (much appreciated)

I am not sure if they were there at install as didn't do the initial setup, would suggest they have probably been gone a while (sorry for vagueness). Yes the server is the dns server that is missing the folders.

The initial question came about as I have been looking at a possible replication between two w2k server located in different offices on separate domains. There are no probs on the lan where this server resides that I am aware of at present.

Thanks for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back