Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Missing files from backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

rkpunojr

IS-IT--Management
Nov 30, 2004
US
New to ArcServe2000 I made an attempt at restoring files to check the integrity of my backups. Unfortunately, the backup branches the directories from the systems over the network set for backup, but the files in theses directories do not show up or restore (session). What could be going wrong????

I do not understand what you are saying, but anyways it could be that either the files where not included in the backup or database corruption.

I am backing up several files on different severs over the network using ArcServe 2000 v.7.0 build 1110 on a Quantum DLT7000 firmware version 2561 using DLT IV Tape on WinNT Server and backing up directly from networked servers in a mix of Win2000 and XP systems to tape. (4 or 5 sessions)
The problem is that the job runs with no errors, but only returns with several directories backed up to tape and 0 files!!! I'm stumped at why no files are backed up? And I do not have enough drive space to run a network copy of files to the local server and backup locally. What is going on here?????

How are you selecting the other servers in the backup? Do you have the client agent installed or are you just browing the domain to find each server? How old was the tape you were trying to restore from? Also, check your database options (inside your backup job, click the options button at the top, click the operation tab) what does the setting under database say? Is the job recording detail information or just job and session information?

Debi

During backup creation I'm setting the source to the networked servers. Not sure if the client agent is installed but if that means it needs to be installed on each of the servers that need backup then I assume not. If that is the case, how/where do I get the client agent install. The database (I assume thats the log tab) option of my backup is logging the summary only.

The database option I am referring is on the operation tab, not the log tab. The operation tab actual sets what is written to the database. What is written to the database is what shows on the restore screen.

No, you do not have to use the client agent.

Have you tried merging the tape? Put the tape in and Click Manager, Utilities, Merge. Merge all sessions. When that is done, close all your windows and go back into the restore screen (It is important that you close the windows, as the restore screen does not automatically refresh). Does is show the files now?

Debi

Database setting is set to record detailed info.

After merging and closing windows and going to restore.

Still no files visible.

Hi rkpunojr,

I have the same problem: Arcserve 2000 SP 5 on W2K SP4 server. Backup up both local and network files. The backup is successful and I can restore a complete tape, but I can't browse in the sessions to select specific files I to restore. Under the "Operations" tab in the Backup - Options screen I've marked "Backup Arcserve DB files in every backup job" and "Record Detailed Information". The backup is spread over multiple tapes and sessions.

Have you been able to resolve your problem yet?

Frederik

Nope. I've decided to run a backup to another server with adequate drive space for now until I find another solution. I may have to go with a new application like Veritas or something.

Check if you see numerous .CAT files in Arcserve\Temp. If you do, run mergecat from Arcserve directory in command prompt. It'll take a while. In case this does not work, just delete all .CAT and .TMP files and initialize DB. You will have to merge existing tapes as needed.

I'm not sure if I'm understanding the root problem here but I remember having a similar issue when I moved to ARCserve version 11. My problem was related to viewing the files in the Restore Manager, I couldn't see any of the files to select for a restore. I found that there was a new global setting called "Show Leaf Nodes" and that I had it un-checked. In version 11 you can find this setting under the View | Preferences menu in the Enable/Disable Options section. You may look for a setting like this in 2000. It's been a while since I've run 2000 and I don't recall the exact options. Hope this helps.

Darren Haehnel
Sr. Technical Analyst - Enterprise Svrs.
Great Lakes Chemical Corp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back