Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Missing device error on start up

Status
Not open for further replies.

saimon00

Technical User
Dec 4, 2001
ES
ve just installed win98SE and on boot up it gives me this message:-
Cannot find a device that may be needed to run windows or a application.

The windows registry or SYSTEM.INI file refers to this device, but the device file no longer exists.

If you deleted this file on purpose, try uninstalling the associated application using the uninstall os setup program.

If you still want to use the application associated with this device file try replacing that application to replace the missing file.

Then it tells me the missing files which are as follows:-

The message as before follwed by:-
VNETBIOS.VXD

And then the same only with

MOTVCD.VXD at the end

Can any body help, PLEEEEEASE???

Have you tried running the system file checker (SFC.EXE) to replace the files from the installation CD?

I usually don't recommend this, as the version may be incorrect, but I have found the elusive motvcd.vxd file. I knew it wasn't a standard Wiundows operating sytem file. It pertians to a Motorola modem.

For the vnetbios problem, I think its best to go to Start>Settings>ControlPanel>Network. Write done any pertanent settings, the remove all componenets. Shutdown and restart and go back and add them in again. You'll need the original CD or the cab files if they reside on the hard drive.

If it comes to a point where it says it can't find a file, click the Browse button and select the c:\windows\system directory. The next file it can't find, click the Browsee button and select the c:\windows directory.

That should do it.

reghakr

I just sucessfully installed windows with no problem what so ever! The answer to all these problems??
Open up the pc, pull out the bloody modem, install windows with no modem inside. Once completed, plug the modem back in and install the drivers!!
et voila!!! no probs!

You could have also,,,,,,,,,,
without having to reinstall Windows,,,,,,,,,

Gone into device manager, remove Modem.

Hit refresh.

Install the drivers.

Reboot.

Problem solved. Takes 3 minutes.

Lesson: Have the right drivers for your hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back