Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Missing device driver on boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

threedots

IS-IT--Management
Jul 6, 2001
US
I get a message on the Windows load that the file WOL558.vxd cannot be found. I've scoured the SYS.INI file and cannot find a reference to it there. Does anyone know what this file is used for and how to reload it?

Use RegEdit to look up the following Registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VXD

with any luck you will find WOL558 listed there as a subkey of the VXD key. I don't recognize the VxD but perhaps the data value of the key will reveal the name of the folder in which the WOL558.VXD file used to reside and that may mean something to you.

You can export and save the WOL558 sub-key as a *.reg file (so you could put it back later if desired). Having exported the sub-key you can delete the sub-key so that you no longer get the error on startup.

Do you know anyone else with the same operating system?

If so, go to c:\windows\system and find the file (this is where its kept on mine). If the file is 10k, I'm guessing it should be alright to copy it across (because thats the size it is on mine).

This might be worth a try because your system could be missing something by not being able to use this file.

Rgds

Found it, under the area you described. Interestingly enough, it was named exactly this way (WOL558.VXD) but the registry Find command failed to pick it up.

Thanks for the tip, and WIndows is booting just fine now! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back