Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Missing data(labels + text) when printing to dot matrix printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

kf6

Programmer
May 14, 2002
IE
I'm using Crystal report v.6 + .DSR files in VB6 which connect to an SQL server database.
When I run the application the report displays all the data no problem in print preview mode and when i print to a laser jet printer everything prints out fine, its just when i print to a dot matrix printer(I've tried 2 different types of dot matrix) some of the labels and text fields just disppear when printing and its the same fields and labels that do not print out each time so there is at least some consistency there.
I've tried everything from removing and puttting back the fields in the dsr file to changing the font settings of the fields to remove but all to no avail and then when i go back and print from a laser jet printer there is no problem.

Some thoughts:

Are you using the right drivers, and are they properly configured for graphics?

Are you certain that your dot matrix printers support graphics at all, and that they're set to do so? There used to be dip switches on some that you could set to disallow graphics, a driver setting wouldn't change it.

If the failing text fields are of a font not supported by the printer, and it can't switch to graphics mode to rasterize these fonts, then this might all make sense...

<shrug>

or:

Carefully lift the dot matrix up over your head to the height where you can see underneath it.

Now release it and get out of the way.

Submit justification for a laser, folowed by a celebratory martini.

-k kai@informeddatadecisions.com

Thats a great idea, don't think they'll go for it though.
The dot matrix printers don't seem to have any problem displaying graphics, its a couple of labels/text fields its having problems with and the items it doesn't display are using exactly the same font properties as the items it does display.
I've even tried removing everything from the .dsr(report) file and putting the items back in again and re-running the app. but this doesn't help.
Could it be that crystal reports has some problem with dot matrix printers(I know I have!)
regards

Crystal uses the Windows printer drivers, not anything inherent to Crystal.

Try just placing a graphic into a report and see if it prints on the dot matrix.

The only other thing that comes to mind is to right click and convert the image to a paintbrush picture and see if that resolves it, I had a problem once with a graphic that this solved.

-k kai@informeddatadecisions.com

I installed a more recent(v.8.5) of crystal and this does the trick.
thanks

I was using version 7 where the problem was occuring,
then i upgraded to version 8.5 developer edition which seems to have sorted the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back