Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Missing bios info file

Status
Not open for further replies.

crot

Vendor
Oct 6, 2005
ZA
Hi
I have a AMD Sempron machine. I installed a demo game from a DVD disc that I got with my magazine. My machine froze, so I restarted it. Then I only had a black screen with C:\WINDOWS\bios.inf file missing - Insert WIN XP CD and press r to repair

I have tried that, but my PC won't read my XP cd.

PLEASE help as I cannot afford to format my HDD, too much info too loose.

Thanks.

Can you start XP up in Safe Mode? Failing that will your PC actually boot off the XP CD (you can launch a repair from there, make sure your PC is enabled to boot off the CD ROM and it is set to look for the CD ROM before the hard disk)

And if all else fails and you have to format, you can slave your hard disk into another PC so you can pull the data off it before you do the format/reinstall.

-----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

Is Bios.inf an actual Windows file (I can't find it on my machine) if it is not it wont be on any XP CD?

Try Safe Mode and see if you can run System Restore to get back to before this game install.

Make sure the Bios is set to Safe Defaults and that you can boot from CD ahead of the hard drive.

Try running ChkDsk from Safe Mode, right-click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking.

You can also run it from the Recover Console via ChkDsk /r

How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP

An easy to follow recovery console description when unable to start computer due to corrupt registry.

This is a layman's version of Q307545 in simple language.

If they don't work you could try repairing windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates (no problem if you substitute them with SP2) but your files and programs will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

TheLad - Sorry can't start in Safe Mode. I will have to load WIN XP on my 10 Gig HDD to try and save my docs from the 40 Gig.

linney - Thanks I will definitely try your suggestion as well.

I am currently @ work. Will keep you updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back