Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Missing Attachments in Forwarded Messages 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JerryG

IS-IT--Management
Nov 19, 2000
US
I have outlook 2000 and when someone forwards a message to me that contains attachments I do not get the attachments.

When the same message is forwarded to another account I have using Outlook 2002 the attachments show up. When the same message is sent to others with Outlook 2000 the attachments show up.

What am I doing wrong?

We need more detail.
For instance what type of attachment (already asked)?
Where is the forward from?
How large is the attachment? (It may be being stripped by a mail server because of size.)
Is Exchange involved?
Is the attachment being blocked? see faq605-1375 It may be that the OL2000 has the security patch installed while the other OL2000 that receives ok does not. The OL2002 account may have had the security disabled or is recieving the attachment but won't let you open it.

The two rules for success are:
1. Never tell them everything you know.

1. The attachment is either a word document or an exel file
2. Exchange server is involved on both ends.
3. There have been many files, none over 50k (our server cuts of at 10M).
4. According to our admin they are not being blocked.

If the person composes a new message with attachments and sends it, it makes it through. It is only on forwarded messages that it is stripped.

Thanks

The editor is Word 2000 and the SR1 service pack is installed which is supposed to fix the problem noted in the microsoft article

That article seemed to fit! Also, it seems the issue as outlined in the article is at the sender not the receiver.

Are you sure the sender is on SP1a?

Maybe MS hasn't really fixed he problem, surprise :).
The two rules for success are:
1. Never tell them everything you know.

Hi,
I have a similar problem. I have read the MS k/b article above but I have different symptoms so I don't think it applies to me:

I send, or FW, a mail message with attachments (DOC, PPS, JPG, TXT) but certain recipients do not receive them. These recipients include home accounts (no Exchange Server installed) and work accounts (with Exchange). I include my home account and I can receive them there.

I am sending them from Outlook 2000, in HTML format. My version of Office (at work and home) is Office 2000 Pro.

The messages appear in my Sent Items with the attachments.

Would really appreciate if anyone can shed any light! Cheers.

JerryG since it sounds like you are using Word as the email editor it sounds as there could be a problem with the email tempalte file that Word is using. If you switch to another editor (Plain Text, RTF, HTML,...)do the attachments show up.

Did you happen to notice what editor was being used when your looked at your mail with the Outlook 2002 application?

For Tastyfish's post, I would check the properties for the e-mail address you are sending mail to where the attachments don't show up. Make sure the option 'Always send in Rich Text Format' is not selected which is an option for Internet Mail addresses as opposed to Exchange addresses from the GAL. joegz
"Sometimes you just need to find out what it's not first to figure out what it is."

I have tried all three: HTML, Plain Text and RTF formats with both Word and not as the editors - same result.

The 2002 box uses HTML as the format and Word XP as the editor.

Do you see anything at all where the attachment would typically be posted? Any markings that would indicate there was an attachment in the forwarded message?

If not then I guess then the best thing to do is to start eliminating what are the possible causes of the problem. Is the problem with your Exchange account or the application is what I am chasing. My suggestions are:

1. Using the same Exchange account where you are having the problem go to another machine using Outlook 2000, create a new profile for yourself and see if the attachment problem persists. (When you mentioned you tested using Outlook XP it did not sound like you used the same Exchange account but I could have misinterpreted.) If you can duplicate the issue I would think then it is an issue with your account on the Exchange server. (Alternatively, you can probably have your Exchange administrator open your Exchange mailbox and look to see if he/she can see the attachment.)

2. If you can't duplicate the problem on the second machine using Outlook 2000 go back to your PC and create a new outlook profile and see if there is still a problem using a new profile.

I was also thinking about virus software as a possibility but since you say that new mail messages sent get through with the attachment that would probably eliminate that as a culprit.
joegz
"Sometimes you just need to find out what it's not first to figure out what it is."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back