Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Missing an arch log on fail over database

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbstudent

Programmer
Feb 14, 2006
US
yeh y'all,

My production database automatically archives to the standby. I tried to shutdown the standby, it hang on me. So i did the shutdown abort and there after startup and shutdown immediate.Then brought it backup ALTER DATABASE MOUNT STANDBY DATABASE; followed by ALTER DATABASE RECOVER AUTOMATIC STANDBY DATABASE. Am getting the error below when i try to recover the standby. I looked for the log in the primary DB and it wasn't there.

Media Recovery Log /u01/app/oracle/admin/afpdbsp2/arch/arch_1_6431.arc
Errors with log /u01/app/oracle/admin/afpdbsp2/arch/arch_1_6431.arc.
ORA-279 signalled during: ALTER DATABASE RECOVER AUTOMATIC STANDBY DATABASE...
Wed Jul 12 21:30:01 2006
ALTER DATABASE RECOVER CANCEL
Media Recovery Cancelled

How do i check for the logs that the primary try to push over while the the standby was down?My other question is if my primary database goes down will the fail over work with the missing logfile? I have read that to avoid this problem i should have stopped the primary then the standby and vice verse when bringing them backup. What if i cannot bring the prod db because it's should be up 24/7. Thanks in advance.

Mende

One more question. How do i take an export of my primary database?

you can check the alert log on your primary database to see your archives .

If the log is missing you will need to refresh your datafiles from primary as you cannot skip logs.

hth

simon

Sy UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back