Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Misrecognized WD Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerryd3001

Technical User
Jan 15, 2003
US
I have a 30GB WD set as Master and either an 8.4 GB WD or 60 GB WD set as slave (as removable drives) on an AMD 1700+ machine with AWDFLASH Bios and Epox 8KHA+ DDR motherboard. The bios recognizes the drives perfectly, and I can copy partitions using Data Lifeguard from the diskette, but when I get to Windows ME, the drives are reversed and the slave is mislabled (both with the same label as the master). The computer always boots to the slave (or won't boot to the new 60 GB drive if it is set as slave since it is only partitioned and formatted, which was done by configuring it as the master with no other drives connected). I have tried every possible cable and jumper configuration, always with the same results. Any thoughts or suggestions. Thanks in advance. Jerry

I figured out the problem--me--and I don't mean Windows ME. When I rebooted from configuring the drives I would get a message something like, "Do you want to reboot because of the new set up." I'm so used to ignoring these with Windows updates that I just clicked on No. This meant that Windows wasn't able to reconfigure for the new hard drive set up and was showing the proper hardware with the old labels and old Master/Slave locations. As soon as I clicked on Yes to reboot, everything came up exactly like it should.

Jerry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back