Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations strongm on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MIS Grad with No Use for Degree 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrentUSM

MIS
Oct 2, 2001
US
I am a recent graduate from USM. I went through all the courses and did pretty well. Now that I am out in the real world, I find that the education I recieved is about as useful as a dog with no legs. I am thinking about taking some training classes that would develop a knowledge of networks. I am very interested in Database Administration but have little to no experience, unless you consider MS Access experience. I have been advised that an A+ certification would benefit me greatly in learning networks, but I have been reading several articles and believe that I can do it on my own. Someone please advise me on what direction to take. Thanks!

Read on your own. The A+ Certification is not a network certification. It is a hardware (computer) certification. Take it if you know hardware. The best way to learn about networks is to build your own at home. Studying for the Network + certification is a good way as well (by the same company that provides the A+). as always study and play with a network hands on. Those are the best ways. You also have a wealth of knowlege here in the forums. Pick peoples brains. Most of us are happy to help. James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

I believe you should study A+ and write the Certification when you know you are ready. This is a basic certification and on its own will open doors for you. I too have A+.

As far as Networking is concerned, I am an MCSE Windows NT 4 and I learned lots about Networking. I didn't know anything about Networking before I became an MCSE. Since becoming an MCSE I continue to learn lots more at work and also by building a Network at home too.

That is only one level of Networking though. I have since learned about Routers. I am presently involved in self study about CCNA, Cisco Certified Network Associate. This is a beginning certification leading toward CCIE, Cisco Certified Internetwork Engineer.

I have foung that Both levels of Networking are necessary to get the hole picture. I am also Certified in A+, but I am not familiar with Network+ except to say that I understand it is pretty much the same as Microsoft Network Essentials which is part of getting ones MCSE. The point is that if you decide to become an MCSE you will be studing Network Essentials anyway and therefore Network+ is redundant.

Consider MCSE and CCIE as two sepatate levels of Networking. One level ( MCSE ) mostly considers what goes on in an Organization, ie: USM and the other level of Networking ( CCIE ) is about how you network using WAN Technology to go from site to site or different locations geographically within an organization. These are two separate paths in Networking although there is an ovwerlap.

Actually with the NT4 track no longer available and the Win2K track not doing any Networking Essential testing, the Network + is very handy and looks good to employers. Regardless of if you took the NT4 net essent or not the Net + test is good to have. Combine Net+ with the A+ and the Server+ with ANY MCP or MCSE credintials and you will look very attractive to potential employers. James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

The A+ is a entry/intermediate level computer service technician certification. Network+ is entry/intermediate level network tecnician cert. I would look more at becoming an Microsoft certified systems engineer and focus on SQL server course of study. One reason is that MS is industry wide recognized by employers. Theres a number of individual tests and you tailor them to your taste. By the time yoiur done it will certify that you know SQL, MS networking products, and networking in general. I'm giving you this advice from experience.

Good Luck
David

MCSE, A+, Network+, CCNA

True the Net+ And A+ are entry level, but they do show you know more than MS products. Thy show you are knowlegable in both computer hardware and computer networking and can be very general. The MS certifications show your profenciance in MS products. I have seen first hand that because an individual has an MCSE it does not mean they know much. There are a lot of certified MCSE's out there who only hld the certification thanks to "Boot Camps". Now not all who go to the boot camps come out with little knowlege. Some techs actually try and learn and do well. Most of the time i think that is not the case. I suppose there is a boot camp for A+ as well, just not in my area so I dont see it.
I am friends with an individual who got his MCSE. He does not know what he should. He recently lost a 50K a year job because he could not perform. He as hired for his MCSE and just could not cut the mustard. I attempted to tutor him as much as possible. But in the end it did no work for him. He now has an ENTRY level position at a computer store making $12 an hour.
This is why I feel it is very important to have a degree along with the certifications. With both your resume has a better chance of being looked at. James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back