Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

mirroring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 12, 2002
SG
hi,
does win2k pro have built-in software mirroring ?

thanks

See article KB329707 in MS Knowledge Base. There is only one sentence on software mirroring (I havent read very carefully) but it may help.

in that case whats the use of dynamic disk in win2k pro?

I thought dynamic disks allowed you additional features like extending an existing partition (which you'd need something like Partition Magic for with basic disks). You don't need dynamic disks to mirror, nor do you need to mirror if you use dynamic disks.

Yes ,, convert the HDD to Dynamic and the Mirror will be appeared

Mohamed Farid
Know Me No Pain , No Me Know Pain !!!

In Prof and in Server ..
u can convert the HDD to Dynamic ,,
in Computer Management ,,
right click on the HDD , and select upgrade to Dynamic ..
then after upgrading ,,
u can use mirroring ..

Mohamed Farid

Sentmemail :
All Windows 2000 platforms can do mirroring...

Mohamed Farid

Disk Manager --> Right Click the Disk you want to mirror it --> Upgrade to Dynamic

--> After Upgrading Right click the Volume you want to make mirror on, then Select to make mirro disk ..

Then the Mirrored disk will be created ..

Mohamed Farid

Followed these steps, and the mirror option is greyed out in 2000Pro. Any ideas?

how many hard disks do u have ?

Mohamed Farid

Two Drives, both the same, 40GB, 72K. This is in a Dell Presicion 360N, setup from Dell with no OS. I installed 2000Pro fresh. When you go to the Disk Manager, both drives are present. C:/ (Basic type) and the other drive that I set to Dynamic. When I right click on it, the option to Add Mirror is greyed out. Any ideas?

you have to make in the second drive which is dynamik at least 2 volumes , so that you can mirror one of them to the other !

Mohamed Farid

I don't follow you?? How big should the volume be?

you must understand something :
- Mirroring is done between 2 Partations ,, 1 which will be mirrored to the other.
- If you have 2 volumes , for example in your case ( the 2nd drive is dynamic and 40 G ) so you have to make 2 volumes on it with 20 G each ..
and then monitor one of them to the other

- you will get backup HD , but you will lose 20 G

try and feed me back ..

Mohamed Farid

I tried what you said and it didn't work, still greyed out. All drives are now posting as dynamic. Can I not mirror the first 40 GB to the second 40 GB drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back