Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mirroring problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

mironwg

Technical User
Jan 8, 2007
US
Does any one know how to mirror in MAX so that it exports mirrored parts? No mirrored part shows up if 3DS file exported from MAX is opened in AutoCAD or TurboCAD.
Mirrored parts are missing whether mirrored as instance or copy. If the part IS attached, id shows up inverted.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks

Can you convert it to an editable poly, or do you need the seperate elements?

***You can't change your past, but you can change your future***

Thanks wraygun, but I am not sure that I understand your question.
Essentially, any entity your mirror. No matter on what axis you mirror them about, the newly created parts, whether they are wheels of a car or a left hand made out of right hand will be good only in MAX. Exported to 3DS and imported to AutoCAD or TurboCAD, the mirrored parts will not be there.
I am new to MAX and my knowledge of it is limited, but so far nobody came up with a solution.

No problem. I just hope I can help you get to the bottom of the problem. I wasn't able to duplicate the problem. Here are the steps I've taken to export from max and import into autocad (Note: I'm using Max 8, and Autocad 2004), but the steps should be similar if you're using a different version.

EXPORT:
1) Created a cone(for testing purposes).

2) Selected the mirror tool from the toolbar.

3) Mirrored the cone as a copy.

4) Selected all items in the scene by drawing a bounding box around them.

5) (from the menu)Select 'File', 'Export Selected', and save the file.

6) If you get a prompt to preserve MAX's Texture Coordinates, make sure it's selected.

IMPORT into AutoCad:
1) (from the menu) 'Insert', '3D Studio', select your file, and click 'Open'.

2) From the Available Objects frame, click the 'Add All' button.

3) Make sure the 'By Object' radio button is selected in the 'Save To Layers' or choose 'Single Layer'.

You probably know most of these steps, but I thought I'd outline exactly as I've done to help you troubleshoot your issue.

Let me know how you get on.

Best regards,
Harold

Hmmm... it's odd, but a mesh is a mesh. If your interested, I would be glad to look at the max scene file to see if I can duplicate it on my end and work out a resolution.

Best regards,
Harold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back