Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mirroring NT Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimofaos

IS-IT--Management
Dec 7, 2001
US
Current configuration:
Site A NT4 Server 30 workstations
Site B 11 workstations connected via a T1 VPN to Site A's server

I would like to add a server to Site B which is a Mirror of the Site A server, and have site B's users using it. This way the only traffic across the VPN will be the servers keeping in sync.

What is the easiest most reliable way to do this? Can NT do it, or do I need 3rd party software? If I do need additional software, what do you recommend?

Thanks in advance,
Jim...

This will be in interesting one to follow....

As there are so few users involved you may want to consider making the server in the 2nd site a BDC. That will give you a fault tolerant domain structure as well. If you lose one of the servers, the other can step up to the plate!

Except for replication of domain data, NT4's replication service is not very robust, and expects everything to be in a 'bad place' as far as I'm concerned, so a 3rd party solution is almost mandatory.

If the amount of the data that is changing is pretty small, infrequent, and doesn't involve the same file(s) at both ends, you could use the XCOPY command along with a simple scheduler, like JIT. I use that to 'synchronize' data on a one way basis, but it can be used to work both ways. This would be the ultimate in crudeness, but the least expensive. On the other hand, a program like IDEM from Soft Experience, may be the better solution for you. I have not used it, so I cannot comment on its strengths and weaknesses, but it looks like a cost effective solution.

Good luck.

Instead of XCOPY try ROBOCOPY - I think it's in a MS NT Resource Kit. It's designed to do this kind of file sychronisation - lots of params to play with - been fine for me.

I use xxcopy instead of xxcopy... its free and can be downloaded...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back