Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

mirrored volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

iscreweditupagain

Technical User
Oct 24, 2002
US
>> i have two physical 80gb harddisks, currently c: and e:, each configured as dynamic. i want to create a mirrored volume of the system disk c:, onto e:.

>> so i rightclick the unallocated space on the e: disk, and tell it to create a volume.

>> i have a feeling that in the second screen, where it asks what type of volume i want to create, one of the options should be mirrored volume.

>> this option is not present. what am i doing incorrectly?

Hi,

Are you using Windows 2000 Professional? - Pro doesn't support Mirroring.

Are your disks Basic or Dynamic? - You cannot mirror a volume on a Basic disk (in Win2K).

"this option is not present. what am i doing incorrectly?

Only Dynamic disks with areas of unallocated free space big enough to mirror the selected volume will be listed. If no area of unallocated free space is big enough, then you won't have the option of mirroring the volume.

Hope this helps,

Patty [ponytails2]

>> yeah, i figured that one out about 5 minutes after i made the post. 2k pro doesnt support mirroring.

>> but when i went ahead an installed server, the option appeared and now everything is working smoothly.

>> thanks for reading my post anyway.

>> funny how disk mirroring is a covered subject in 2k pro help... fully documented and yet an unavailable feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back