Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mirror Task question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Briem

Technical User
Mar 25, 2001
PG
I am using Virus scan 4.5.1 and have included the mirror task on my own win2k client PC. I have tried mirroring the ftp.nai.com site to my server here on the network from my PC but everytime I try and configure the destination for the mirror it says the path I typed in is invalid. Does that mean I can only mirror locally to my PC but cant send the mirror to the server. Should I Create a public folder on my own PC and then everyone on my network points to my pc to update their virus definitions???.

Also does netshield have a mirror task.?

TIA

Briem

I believe the full path to the NAI mirror site is ftp://ftp.nai.com/pub/antivirus/datfiles/4.x/

I also have found that I can't mirror to a network drive. I've been mirroring to my PC on Monday night - then I copy/paste the folder from my PC to a network drive sometime during the day on Tuesday. All of our computers are set to AutoUpdate at random times from the network drive on Wednesday (to give me a little leeway to do the copy).

A little cumbersome, but seems to be the best that McAfee can provide so far.

No, there is no mirror for Netshield. You can set one server to update from an ftp site (if you have TCP/IP running on your server and no firewall). I simply update the first server manually. And then set all other servers to update from the first server.

Scan engine updates must be done manually on all servers currently.

You can get instructions for this and more from the NAI support website Knowledge Center at

Thanks for those links and also for the answer to my queries.

Briem

I am mirroring McAfee's ftp site to an NT server from my W2K workstation.

In the destination path, I used a UNC path to my virus share on the NT server. So far, it has been working for several weeks without a problem.

I definitely wouldn't create a public share on my local workstation for users to access. Leaves you open to attacks.

Hi darrnic,

I would like to know what did you do in order to resolve this big problem.

I'm handling a WAN that really needs to make this work.

Thanks

Hi macgus,

I didn't do anything special except to follow the directions in the VirusScan Help. In the mirror options, I had a Network Associates mirror option that points to ftp.nai.com/pub/antivirus/datfiles/4.x. I made sure that this task was enabled and that I am using an anonymous FTP login and a passive FTP session.

I am not going through any proxy server to get out to the internet so I don't have that configured. In the Destination tab, the local destination path is a UNC path to the server share. Then from that server share, I use robocopy to distribute to the other 40 servers in our WAN at off hours.

That is all I have done to get it to work. I hope this helps!

When I set my mirror destination to a UNC path, I get an Invalid Path error message. I use the syntax \\server\volume\folder\folder Perhaps I should try a different syntax?

Hey guys
If you check the mirroring issue, you will find
that in the destination path it mantioned that it is a
local destination path.
I have heard that mcaffe are going to issue mirror also for servers
then will be able to download the files to the servers and not to our local machine

Well, so you are right. It was right in front of my nose. Obviously trying to do something the program is not coded to do... Thanks for pointing that out to me.

Darnic, the problem is about destination path, not source path, You're right about what you said.

People you're right too, destination path was make for working with local paths. NAI tech support staff just told me, but I find kinda weird when you look at NAI's knowledge baseand find that there is a procedure to correct this. Of course I tried it out but it was unsuccessful.

The lesson here is that we have to make this recommendation to NAI.

darrnic: From where can I get this software (roocopy)? And is there another similar software that can be use for sincronicing files?

Thanx

Macgus: robocopy is in the NT 4.0 Resource Kit. I created a batch file that uses robocopy to copy the files to the remote servers. I then use a scheduler on the on server to run the batch file at a scheduled time.

I am not pointing the destination path to a local destination such as c:\virus, for example. I have pointed my destination path to \\server1\share1\folder1. This has been working this way for over a month. Not sure why it is working for me if everyone else is having trouble with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back