Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MiniDump Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2007
US
Hi all. I'm dealing with a particularly annoying blue screen and I was wondering what the best way to analyze it would be. In other words, what method would you recommend to ferret out the source of the BSOD from the minidump?

This site says to use WinDbg

It's not a normal BSOD where a driver is mentioned to give you a clue. It's an Unknown Hard Error 0x0000007E (0xc0000005 0x438b003 0xf7aa27cc 0xf7aa24c8)

This is a very important customer and she's going to execute me if I don't figure it out.

All built-in hardware tests pass on this Dell Inspiron 6000 with XP Media Center Edition

It almost becomes cheaper to buy a new computer than try to fix it at $85 per hour. I guess for that type of money a customer may expect an instant diagnosis and a guaranteed remedy. Too bad it is not always the case. Anything taking longer to repair then the economics fail to stack up.

No reflection intended on "goombawaho", just a comment on the computer repair industry.

No - I'm with you 100%. If I was repairing it for someone, I'd charge $50/hr (at their site) and that helps a little, but still - it doesn't pay to spend $500 on a laptop that's 4 years old.

If I was doing it for ME - my time is then free. But I can't be free for everyone so the old economics creeps into the technical equation.

"Instant Diagnosis & guaranteed remedy" - YES. That's was I was reflecting when I was carping about not getting a conclusive diagnosis. I won't play roulette with the customer's money and then get called on the carpet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back