Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

mini keyboard doesn't work with an adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

alebox20

Programmer
Oct 19, 2004
BR
I have a mini keyboard Leadership cod 7890 but it doesn't work in my laptop Acer Aspire 5100-3949. It doesn't have ps2 port, so I bought an adapter ps2 to usb, but really doesn't work.

What is the problem?

Ahh yes...I have had problems with PS/2 to USB and back in the day serial mouse to PS/2 and a third type of unknown old keyboard connector to PS/2 or USB. I finally found out that the only adapters I could count on were the ones that came with the keyboard. You could continue trying adapters (I have a jarful LOL), or see if you can find one on the keyboard manufacturer's site or email their CS staff to ask what brand of adapter is approved to work with their keyboard.

Tony

"Buy what you like, or you'll be forced to like what you buy"...me

Yes, those adapters are a bit hit-and-miss. You could just try a different make and cross your fingers, they're very cheap.

Nelviticus

Well I have had alot of bad experience with them. Also It depends on what adapter your trying to use. I have seen that if the sp/2 to usb adapter is for a MOUSE ONLY. You may have a mouse only adapter. Hard to say.

One thing you might want to be on the lookout for...I just found one in my "odds & sods" closet. It's a USB plug with (2) wires coming out of it, one has a purple PS/2 jack and the other a green PS/2 jack. I tried it with three different PS/2 keyboards and it worked every time.

Tony

"Buy what you like, or you'll be forced to like what you buy"...me

For an adapter to work, the keyboard itself must be a type that supports PS/2 and USB connectivity. It is the peripheral that must switch between the two standards, not the computer. Google does not show a thing about your keyboard model. Do you know if it supports USB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back