Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MIMS on WIndows Terminal server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin2

Programmer
Apr 19, 2001
AU
I am just about to set up MIMS Explorer on Windows terminal server.
I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this - can you tell me how you handle updates?
Since starting with MIMS Explorer, we've had to Middleware updates, 4 MSQMUI updates and 3 MSQEXP updates. These files are likley to always be in use. Also we have had many other updates such as MSQ140,600,620,700,740,901 all of which are very likley to be in use at any time. For pc implementations, I copy updates to the local drive before the MSQEXP starts.
I'm thinking I might have to distribute the files to a temporary area and have a process to copy (and register?)them in on reboot.

Has anyone else dealt with the problem?

I'd also appreciate any other "tricks" which might be required for a WTS implementation.

Hi Martin,

First of all it's a bad idea to apply fixes to any MimsOE frontend components (or any other software for that matter) on a wts system that has users logged in. You can choose out of one of the following options :

Bring the system down (or disable login and wait till everyone is out of the system) and then apply the fixes.

Or create a silent install (run the patch install and then on the second screen press F1 on how to create silent installs) once you have created the silent install you can then schedule it to be run a night time (like just after your backup run).

it's always a good idea to re-register the components as you will not know if any interfaces have changed within the components.

Also put your WTS in install mode before doing the install and then back the execute mode before letting users back at it.

There are a couple of issues with GUI updates on terminal server. As you need to syncronize the back end patches "MSK's" along with new "MSQ's" it makes it hard to rollout fixes across mutiple terminal servers.

A presentation was made at the user conference in San Diego last year on having two TP instances running with seperate source code. You can then install the new "MSK's" on one set of source code and update one terminal server at a time pointing them to the TP that has been updated. This also allows an opportinuity to rollback fixes if a problem is discovered.

If you are interested I could chase down the presentation and send it to you.

Email me at ozrockrat@home.com .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back