Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Migration 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

aktaton

IS-IT--Management
Jun 5, 2002
US
Greeting all,

I am trying to perform inter-organization migration. The two organizations have different naming convention. Is there any tool to change the user names of organization 1 to match organization 2 before or after migration? Any suggestion? Thank you in advance.

yes sir

but not like your thinking

need mroe info though

NT4 domain currently?

if so you need to upgrade the PDC in org2 first to make it the forest root, and then you must create a child domain for org1, upgrade the org1 PDCs and join to the child domain, use cloneprincipal from the win2000 resource kit (may be in support tools on win2000 CD too, dont remember, but i think it is) to copy all the users to the forest root, and then decommision the child domain....this will give you a single domain name

look up migrating from NT4 on microsoft site

you dont need tools just the proper upgrade sequence

i can get more detailed if you give me more info

Org1 is in NT4 Domain and Org2 is in Win2k Domain. Org1 is to be migrated to Org2 and the names of users in org1 should match the naming convention of org2. Thank you again for your help.

create a child domain for the org1, migrate org1 to this child domain

create a child domain for org1, upgrade the org1 PDCs and join to the child domain, use cloneprincipal from the win2000 resource kit (may be in support tools on win2000 CD too, dont remember, but i think it is) to copy all the users to the forest root, and then decommision the child domain....this will give you a single domain name

you should create an appropriate OU structure too in the forest root, in your case, an OU structure that reflects geographic location would probably be most appropriate

I will try that thank you. One more question please; Org1 user names are "firstname.Lastname" and Org2 user names are "LastnameFirstinitial". Do I have to rename Org1's user names one at a time before migration?

youll probably have to use a bulk import/export using ldifde.exe to change them all at the same time

theres probably another way of doing this but i'm not sure how, aside from physically going in to change this

look on microsofts website for info about ldifde
it should tell ya how to use it

Thanks to you all, I will try that.

you could also do a parallel install, that wouldnt affect your users at all, then just put in new suernames how you want ewm (you can use ldifde.exe to make multiple users at the same time, you jsut gotta write the file

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back