Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Migration

Status
Not open for further replies.

PCBrandon

IS-IT--Management
Jan 6, 2007
Hi all,

First, a short description of my current setup:

-Two Windows 2000 Advanced Server domain controllers
-One Exchange 2000 Server, installed on one of the domain controllers
-An ISA 2000 array, consisting of both domain controllers

In the near future I'll be upgrading this setup to:

-Two Windows Server 2003 domain controllers
-One Exchange 2003 Server, installed on one of the domain controllers
-An ISA 2006 array, consisting of both domain controllers

I've been reading up on upgrading and migration articles, but haven't found something that fits my setup (I haven't read one with two domain controllers, for instance). I am more than willing to rebuild both our current domain controllers from scratch (99.9% of the company is on vacation for a couple weeks), and I am actually leaning towards that approach, just for the clean installation.

My question is how do I move the mailboxes from the existing Exchange 2000 to the new Exchange 2003 installation? I have a feeling I'll have to perform an in-place upgrade of Exchange 2003, backup the stores from there, and then reformat. Does anyone have any articles or books that explain this procedure? Or any other procedure that'll work?

Thanks!

Exchange shouldn't be on a domain controller
ISA shouldn't be on a domain controller

A simple search here on the forums will yield the answer to your questions, as this is asked several times a week.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately we are a school so we don't have the funds to purchase a lot of servers. We've been running Exchange and ISA on domain controllers for years now, and haven't had many problems.

I've read up on some of the posts here and additional articles. This is what I believe I'll end up doing, what do you think?

I'll introduce a new server with Windows 2003 and a fresh installation of Exchange 2003, joined to the same organization as my existing Exchange 2000 server. Using the mailbox move wizard, I'll move each mailbox to the 2003 server from my existing server. I'll backup the stores using this 2003 server and then bring it offline.

Next I'll rebuild both of my domain controllers to Windows 2003 and configure the new domain. I'll install a fresh copy of Exchange 2003 and then restore the stores.

I thought about simply keeping the stand-in exchange server that I move the mailboxes to online and just move the mailboxes back to the existing server once I rebuild it. I don't think I can do that since I'm rebuilding my entire domain. Am I correct?

Thanks!

You'd be better off building a new box as Exchange (after extending your AD schema accordingly), and then follow

How to remove the first Exchange Server 2003 computer from the administrative group

to get the data onto this server. Once that's done, leave the old server online for a couple of days, and the clients will automatically update themselves.

Then, build your permanent server (as a DC if you must), and add Exchange. Follow the same KB article to move everything back. Leave the temp server online for a few days while the clients update themselves.

Microsoft Exchange MVP

Thanks again.

A few questions:

1. Does the temporary exchange server have to be on the domain to join the exchange administrative group (and perform the actions listed in that article)? I'll be rebuilding both domain controllers so having the temporary exchange server on the domain would pose a problem.

Thanks!

yes, it would need to be on the domain. Every Exchange server needs to be on the domain. You certainly can't rebuild both domain controllers at the same time. Doing so will destroy your domain.

Microsoft Exchange MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back