Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Migration to Crystal Enterprise 8.5 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjlewis

MIS
Sep 12, 2003
FI
Currently running Seagate Info 7.5 but need to move to Crystal Enterprise 8.5
Anyone aware of documentation that covers the migration as opposed to a new install

A search of this forum using Upgrade and Info as keywords will get you a set of answers....

( I haven't learned yet how to include a Thread reference in my posting...)

[profile]

note to sjlewis

I am curious as to how your migration from SI 7.5 to CE 8.5 (or whatever version you chose) has gone?

rptQueen

We did not migrate until end Jan 2004. I chose to do this "in-house" rather than use consultancy.

In basic steps, the plan was
1 - setup the new CE8.5 server.
2 - migrate the reports from SI7.5 to CE8.5
3 - re-schedule all recurring instances as these were unable to be migrated (very long task !!!)
4 - stop processing on SI7.5 and start processing on CE8.5 as a pre-determined date/time.

There were some issues.
1 - majority of our reporting is from SAP. There were some additional transports needed to the SAP system to allow CE8.5 to communicate with it. Once these were done, SI7.5 would not be able to report against SAP so we could not run the 2 Crystal systems in parallel.
2 - The database logon credentials attached to all reports had changed its format. This meant that they had to be changed manually on each report before they would function against SAP. We were able to get a script written by Crystal to do the bulk of these as it did delay our go-live. We could not validate them real-time as this would have meant out SI7.5 system would be unusable while we were carrying this out.
3 - the re-scheduling of the instances was hampered by having to enter the full SMTP address of the receipients.

All is working fine now, and the CE system is much faster than SI. We have purchased add-on software to enable us to use the Business Calendars function that is not available in CE.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Can I ask why CE 8.5 and not 9 or 10? - Was it basically a cost issue, or was there some technical reason?

Thanks.

Just make sure you have all 100% supportted products in your environment. It was a nightmare from hell for me using an unsupported web server and I had to pull the product off dll by dll, regentry by regentry....

be care full and good luck

It was a technical issue. The version of SAP we were using was only supported with the CE solutions for SAP V2.5 and this was only usable with 8.5. We are currently upgrading our SAP system, so will be looking at upgrading CE soon after.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back