Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Migration Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 13, 2004
US
I need to test migrating an Exchnage box to new hardware...in production.

I have a test box setup with Exchnage on it.

Option 1: Test using ADUC 'Move Mailbox' theory by creating a group of test users. This is a no brainer.

Option 2: Restoring existing information stores from current production server to test box.

I can't get them to allow us to create a separate AD forest. What will the impact be of having 2 copies of the same information stores in production be?

This doesn't seem viable to me. In actuality what we will probably do when we do the actual migration is to build the new server offline and restore the databases to it then take the old box offline, rename the new hardware with the old server name, bring it online and remount the stores. Am I screwed or what?

thread858-954443

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
How Do You Get Great Answers To your Tek-Tips Questions?
[/sub]
See faq222-2244

Thanks for the suggestion but that is my own thread and they are 2 different scenarios.

what you are asking here is exactly the same .
You want hardware in standby, and if disaster strikes, you want to rename it to the existing one.
The steps proposed to you in your own other thread cover just that.

and

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
[/sub]
See faq222-2244

Thanks again, but I don't need hardware on standby. Let me try to explain again.

We are planning to migrate one of our Exchange servers to new hardware. The powers that be want us to test 2 different migration scenarios. We do not have a separate test forest AD, and they will not approve one.

In our live production environment I have set up a "test" Exchange server to represent the new hardware.

In the first scenario we will use ADUC and the 'move mailbox' features of Exchange tasks to move a group of test users to the test box. I have done this before and it has worked seamlessly.

In the second scenario, they want us to restore the entire information store to the test box. We can't take down the production server while this is being done.

So my question is what are the rammifications of having two live copies of identical databses. Can this be done? Will the SID links to the mailboxes and stores be hosed?

I know this is a ridiculous scenario, and really isn't an accurate test of what will happen during the migration.

Because these boxes are both in the same live domain and one of them is our production email server I can't figure out a way to test the migration without a separate AD forest.

Really thanks for the help, I just don't think I'm explaining myself correctly.

so you will have 2 exchange servers with some duplicate mail boxes (and duplicate data) on the live wire ?

any chance of building a small test network (dc, exchange, client) ? backup and restore active directory from the live network to the test network, backup and restore exchange to the test network, then practice your migrations.

testing on the production network is always a bit sketchy ~

good luck

scottie

Working 'live' is a big risk, and I would not accept it, nomatter what powers there may be, but I am not in your shoes.
So, you either re-convince them or deal with it,.. sigh.

An alternative way, not so 'nice', but effective is using a Ghost-like product to image your entire server, or at least the datavolumes. For proper workings, you are best to stop seveal service during the Ghost operation.

Marc
[/sub]
See faq222-2244

Thanks for the input. I am pulling my hair out trying to convince them that we need a separate test environment to test this scenario.

it took a while, but i was finally able to convince mgmt that we needed a testlab. it is built from old pc's which run w2k server, exchange, isa, ect just fine. i bought some old cisco routers and swithces on ebay for a small amount of $ and have been able to mimic our enviroment with remote sites, ect.

the price of this testbed to work with new software, active directory, exchange, adsi scripting, ect is far cheaper than a disaster recovery on the production system.

using old equipment is a good selling point to the management.

scottie

Sorry to keep beating a dead horse here but...

If I did this, took the production server down, reset the computer account in AD, brought the new box up with the same server name and did a /disasterrecovery install of exchange, then restored the databases and mounted them...

what would the impact be? What else would I have to do to make Exchange work again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back