Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

migration from seagate info 7.5 to crystal decisions 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tasarian

Programmer
Feb 24, 2004
CA
Hi everyone I could really use some help, it would be appreciated greatly.
My current project is to migrate Seagate info 7.5 to crystal decisions 9.0. I don’t have a lot of experience with either but I really need to get this done. Having referred to some online support docs as well as the handbooks I am no closer to a successful migration then I was before. I have CR 9 set up on a win server 2003 box at the moment and tried using the import wizard to import the APS, some folders and user groups were imported however any objects like reports were not.

My 7.5 info setup is as follows:
Seagate 7.5 uses an oracle db + driver
APS name is SGATEDEV.COMP.COM
All reports and folders are stored on a win shared directory named ‘info Reports’
And the SGATEDEV.COMP.COM directory is also on a win shared drive

So far I have looked at my crystal 9 setup and was wondering if under servers I should name the input and output server to the directory ‘info reports’?

If anyone has successfully migrated from 7.5 – 9 or has any suggestions it would be so very much appreciated. I am unbelievably stuck. Thanks for your help.
Tas

The product you're using is Crystal Enterprise, not Crystal Decisions (a defunct company), nor CR 9 (Crystal Reports).

It sounds like you're connecting to the database anyway, just some object types appear to be failing.

You state that Oracle is used for the old database, what are you using for CE?

There are some concerns, note that MS does not support the configuration with 2003:

May not be the issue though.

If you're using the default (SQL Server), then it might be a problem, but I haven't gone from SI 7.5 to CE 9, but I have gone to CE 8.5 with success.

-k

Thanks for your reply. we are going to use the same data source in CE 9 as we are using in SI 7.5. I am able to import all users and folders however all the reports fail to import. I have set my odbc up correctly as well as tns names. can't understand why reports aren't importing. any ideas?

It's using the exact same ODBC as it was in SI?

That may be part of the problem.

I've never migrated from the same database, sounds problematic.

-k

We just did this migration (SI7.5 - CE9) a month ago, but we imported from the test CE installation. The reports there had been manually published to CE. But there are a couple things on my mind here.

The Admin guide says "The Crystal Import Wizard can import Crystal report objects [from Info] only if they are based on native drivers, ODBC data sources, or OLAP data sources." It sounds like you meet that criteria, but synapsevampire's may have a point.

The other thing is your comment, "All reports and folders are stored on a win shared directory named ‘info Reports’". This suggests that you are not pointing to the Input File Repository in CE, but directly to the report folders. These may be one and the same, but if they're not, the Import Wizard may miss the reports. (But then why/how would it pick up you folders? I don't know.)

Now that you have imported users and folders though, can you use the Publishing Wizard to grab the reports? I believe it lets you map the report objects from the source folder structure to the destination folders - which presumably match after the import.

Will try to import again, everything seems to work fine up until the reports are imported. Out of 80 reports only 10 failed still too many though, will try again
thanks

There is supposed to be a log file for objects that don't import. There should be a button on the last window (or near to last), or look for ImportWiz.log. (C:\Program Files\Crystal Decisions\Enterprise 9\win32_x86\ImportWiz.log) Sometimes error messages can be helpful. :)

yeah checked that out. all it said was which reports failed exporting.

found this article and will try it tomorrow. for everyone else info
====================================================
The information in the article refers to:
Seagate Info 7.5

Applies to:

Reported version only
Private Folders
Administration
Crystal Import Wizard

Synopsis

In Seagate Info 7.5, the Administrator account can not see the users private folders by default. When migrating reports to Crystal Enterprise 9, you will not be able to migrate reports from private folders created by users.

Is there any way for members of the Administrators group to access the private folders?

Solution

====================
WARNING:

Using the Registry Editor can cause serious problems that may require reinstalling the operating system. Crystal Decisions is not responsible for any problems resulting from using the Windows Registry Editor. Use the Registry Editor at your own risk. It is recommended that you back up the registry before you edit it.
====================

On the Seagate Info 7.5 APS computer, a registry value needs to be modified for the Administrator to see the private folders. The value "AdminCanSeePrivateFolders" can be found in:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Seagate Software\Seagate Info\Options

By default, this value is set to "No". Using the registry editor, set this value to "Yes". In order for the settings to take effect, the Info APS and Info Sentinel must be restarted.

Now the Administrator account and any account in the administrator's group will be able to administer private folders. Private folders will also be able to be imported into Crystal Enterprise 9 using the Import Wizard.

====================
NOTE:

If there is an APS Cluster, you must be logged on to the APS that you made the registry changes to in order to see the private folders. You may want to modify the registry key to all the APS machines.
====================

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back