Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Migration from Opt 81 to ?? Questions 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bad69cat

IS-IT--Management
May 28, 2010
US
Well, I know this idea has been kicked around by may of you guys and some have likely made the leap from Nortel to some other platform. My boss dropped the dime on me last week that we will be looking to set funding up for a 2017 VOIP (or other system)migration. Currently we have about 600 sets off an Opt 81 and 200 sets at a remote site off an Opt 11. Given that our network performance has been what I would consider problematic (meaning more than 3 fails in 3 years compared to 0 PBX outages - just some bad cards/powersupplies). So, what do you guys think is the best overall fit for a company that still rely's on Fax machines and dial up access for equipment changes/data? I for one have been frustrated with getting a fax consistanly to an IP network. Can you really shed the TDM side of the house entirely? Our wiring infrustructure will have to have some serious upgrades for sure. My PBX room is stuffd to the gills!! I really couldn't support any more equipment in there. SO, what is the best way to slowly grow/migrate off the old and into the new? I'm pretty sure that we will be looking heavy at CISCO VOIP since our network team is completely in bed with them.......I think it's way over priced IMHO. I took a quick peak at Shoretel just to see that they have a way for us to keep existing digital Nortel sets up and running which is attractive. Keep in mind I'm a one guy shop once the vendors leave and I'm here holding the bag!

Ideas - Thoughts? What worked for you.....

For Nortel customers, the E-MetroTel UCx helps make the move to VoIP simple, cost-effective and a lot less disruptive. Just need 1 UCx server appliance which interworks with the Nortel MGC, and M3900 / M2000 series phones register to UCx. Its already deployed at customer sites in USA, CDN, CALA, etc. And 1 licence gets you all the UC apps most of us need, unified messaging, find me follow me mobility, conferencing, IVR, call recording, call reporting, call center, etc. Worth a look.

Is anybody familiar with the CDMA wireless gateway on the E-Metro offerings? That looks like an add on we could use in place of the spectralink system we looked at awhile back. Just wondering if it offered any sort of distributed antenna setups and if you have to make any arrangments with a particular wireless carrier or if it's carrier agnostic? Interesting......

The E-MetroTel UCx CDMA gateway is used for trunking. Can also be a backup to the UCx SIP trunking setup. For spectralink replacement, just download a SIP client on your smartphone and register with the UCx system, it supports public wireless carrier or private wifi networking. Client acts as an extension to UCx and you get same UCx features on your smartphone.

thanks steph02 - I was thinking it actually would handoff from the UCx to the wireless carrier and vica-versa. Still it's pretty cool you can get an app that will make your mobile go SIP. I think that would still suffice for what we want it for.

Good. The mobile client app is available for iphone and android smartphones. E-MetroTel also has an available WiFi/SIP mobile phone for rugged, all-weather use (withstands water, dust, drops, shock and other harsh conditions) if your environment is more demanding.

Ok just heard back rls 4 will support the following.
Option 11 cabinets, Option 11C Mini cabinets, and CS 1000 wall mount or the rack-mount Media Gateway cabinets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back