Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Migration challenge from EVA to V7000?

Status
Not open for further replies.

polani

Instructor
Jun 4, 2003
CA
Guys

I am about to perform a data migration from HP EVA 4400 to V7000. Host servers are HP UX servers, which are not using any additional multipathing software other than built in PVLINK.

I do have following questions , as i am doing first time using V7000.

Q1. When i will change zoning , as per SVC guidelines so that i would end up with two zones ( SVC zone with HP UX and EVA zone with V7000 ) and discover EVA arrays as unmanaged disks on V7000, i should create corresponding Vdisks with image mode? Question is that as soon as i done with this vdisk creation , i have to reboot HP UX server? Do after reboot , i have to clean up old original disk definations ( EVA disks defination ) from OS and rescan for new image vdisks on OS or the disk definations on OS will remain same ?

Q2. At this stage , can i mount filesystems and start application from image mode vdisks or should i wait till i fully convert image mode disks to managed mode disks ? please explain ? As per my understanding, i can start application and can then start migration process in background ( image mode to managed mode)?

Please guide.

Here comes polani Once again!!!

See my personal blogs at
for unique solutions and tips on AIX, Linux,Storage and TSM.

Have you checked this

if not booting from san.
shutdown HPUX server. Update zoneing, allow at least 5 minutes for EVA to flush cache.
startup HPUX cleanup old EVA disks

add host to V7000.
remapp EVA luns to V7000,
Create image mode vdisks from the old EVA disks and present to HPUX
run ioscan -f -n
validate filesystems and mount options.
start applications and allow users access. I like to wait 24 hours to make sure everything is good, then I would migrate the image mode disks to managed mode disks.

if booting from san I would use a two step process
remove all but boot lun , boot up and cleanup disks.
shutdown and move boot lun first, get that working then attempt the rest.

Tony ... aka chgwhat

When in doubt,,, Power out...

Thanks Tony,

I would ask one more question here . As there are at least 5 HP UX servers which are connected to EVA and we would like to start with one test server first.

Now question is that i will change zoning for this test server only ( i mean v7000/EVA zone plus HP UX/V7000 zone ) but i would like to keep other zones intact for other servers ( EVA/HP UX servers zone ). Will there be any impact on production servers by zoning change for test server.

Pls guide

Here comes polani Once again!!!

See my personal blogs at
for unique solutions and tips on AIX, Linux,Storage and TSM.

That depends on how your zoning is set up. I use for each server a zone with its HBA (or HBAs) and the SANserver/controller ports that it needs to reach. So if I need to re-zone a server, only one zone needs a change (two if you have two separate fabrics). The rest of the zone set(s) remain(s) as is.

HTH,

p5wizard

I agree with p5wizard, depend on your current configuration. If your SVC/V7000 is set up properly it should have a SVC/V7000 only zone, one or more SVC/V7000 - storage zones per storage controller, and one zone per host per fabric.

Assuming SVC/V7000 and SVC/V7000-storage zones are already existing.
Usually I schedule like this, and this will depend on your environment.
pre outage define both new SVC/V7000-host zones.
run os dependant hba scan to add login to SVC/V7000.
add host to SVC/V7000.
during outage you un-present native luns to server.
and re-present to SVC/V7000.
You have to make sure host never sees luns directly if you are using those luns for SVC/V7000.
after fallback window ,remove host from direct storage zone.
When you do this plan carefully because you are changing a production zone, and impact is dependent on your fabric os and host os. In our environment which is Cisco, I see no impact.

FYI I have SVC experience and no V7000 experience, YET.

Tony ... aka chgwhat

When in doubt,,, Power out...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back