Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Migrating users

Status
Not open for further replies.

nnaarrnn

IS-IT--Management
Nov 27, 2012
US
I'm kind of stuck on an issue and request the assistance of the group here.

I have a few IPO systems in an SCN, all 500v2 chassis, v12.0. All phones are IP, mostly J179s with some 9600s still hanging about.

I am attempting to move users from the remote systems to the "main" system at HQ, ideally without losing voicemail greetings and messaged. I created a test user and SIP extension on one of the remote systems to trial this migration with. Deleting the test extension from the remote system and creating it in the new system works as expected. After trying some things myself, I discovered and followed the information I found in the below two threads with no luck.

Its the user that I'm having trouble "copying". I have two instances of Manager open, each connected to the two 500v2's in question. When I copy my test user and paste it into the main/final system, the Name and Full Name fields are changed to Ext8089 and the field for the user's extension goes from the existing (2895) to (8089). Password fields are populated, the user's email address doesn't change and that field is populated as well.

(8089) is the Extension ID for an already in-use extension (2260) on the main system, the system I'm trying to "Paste" this user to. Auto-create Extension is disabled for H.323 and SIP extensions. I'm not sure why the pasted-to system chose (8089)

Any thoughts from you guys? Am I going to be stuck copying out mailboxes, deleting users, recreating users, and copying those mailboxes and greetings back in ?

Thanks for any insight or pointers that send me in the right direction.

I have done similar things in the past. I may be missing exactly what you are doing but I do know that if you are using VM Pro it does everything by user name. I didn't lose any VM greetings or messages when I deleted the name from the remote system and created the user on the main system. Most of the user setting I was using came from user rights so there really wasn't much to migrate from the users them selves. I hope that helps.

Dermis and feline can be divorced by manifold methods.*
*(Disclaimer for all advise given)--'Version Dependent'

Sorry but it sounds like your paste action isn't pasting, its just creating a new user.

As @budbyrd says, you shouldn't need to worry about voicemail mailboxes, so long as user names stay the same. That said, naturally you've taken a full voicemail backup before starting any of this.

But the big question would be why? Why the need to centralize all the IP phones onto one system?

Stuck in a never ending cycle of file copying.

Export the users from the remote site, File>Export>users
Import those users to the the target system. This will append the imported users to the existing ones.

Recreate the extensions on the target system. Using a SIP or H323 template saves time as you can configure multiple extensions as the same time.

You may lose all the greetings and voicemails as they are moving to a new system.
You can try doing a full backup and restore of voicemail after you move the users and recreate the extensions.

The export of users only will only create a CSV containing names, extension and user rights. Maybe little more bit it is far away from complete information.

If your want to do it with exporr/import you would have to export the full config of the old system, copy the relevant lines from the user and extension section, do the same export of the new system and paste the copied entries there.

The result will be almost perfect, but if you break the format of the expert file you will break the whole config.

IP Office remote service
IP Office certificate check
CLI based call blocking
SCN fallback over PSTN

I disagree, I have done this a bunch of times during migrations from remote expansions to server edition.
Export the users only and import them into the server.
It doesn't lose anything.

You have to recreate the extension on the server to match the users. Done.

I agree with Ipots. Done it several times when migrating users from one system to another. Just take an offline cfg. Edit it down so there's only the users, huntgroups, ICR's and User rights you want then export those as a binary export. Then import them into the live config on the other system. Keeps all the pins and passwords you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back