Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Migrating to new servef

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashleym

MIS
Mar 30, 2001
I am migrating exchange 2003 from a windows 2003 Ent server to a windows 2003R2 Ent server. I have done the migration and can send and receive mail to and from the new server, however I am having AD GC problems. The old server is still online and all the exchange services are stopped, however when I uncheck the global catalogue setting on the old server, outlook does not work and I get event ID 2103 which is an Exchange dsacess error saying no global catalogue servers are responding, yet the new server has been a GC server for a week or more. This problem is exchange specific, if I go into ESM on the new server, right click on the server icon, click properties and go to directory access, I see only the old server for all of the frop down menus. How can I make the new server show up in ESM for all the server roles?

AM

Was GC installed on the old Exchange server? Is it still there?

The problem is if GC is installed on the same server as exchange then that server will only query itself for any AD items. Which means if GC has been removed / broken during the migration then this would explain the issue.

Iain

May be worth checking that AD is recognising your new server as a GC:

dsquery server -domain [yourDNSdomain] -isgc

e.g dsquery server -domain ad.test.corp -isgc

This command will list all GCs in the specified domain.

I think Spirit is on the right track, but it sounds like you can't see the new GC from the NEW server..

Ben.

Spirit, yes the old server was a GC, and yes its still online with exchange running.

Ben, thanks I ran the command which returned both servers with exactly the same info, what does this mean?

AM

So if that is the case, why, when I disable the original server from being a GC, does exchange, on my new server begin to complain, and outlook does not work on client pc's? The only way to fix it is to reenable the original server as GC.

AM

Thanks Pat, but they don't seem to be much help, I'm running Exchange 2003 enterprise....

AM

Its ok, its all good now. Once I uninstalled exchange off the old server everything resolved itself.

Thanks for all your help.

AM

Actually its not all good, the problem came back and I ran out of time, so I trashed both machines and rebuilt from the ground up. A pity, I would have liked to know what the problem was.

AM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back