Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Migrating to Native Mode: Exhange 2007 / 5.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlckJckFrnk

Technical User
Feb 20, 2002
US
Just got a whole bunch of money to upgrade our entire system, but part of the problem is that it was a mix of w2k/NT servers and Exchange 5.5 on a w2k server..
I want to upgrade to Exchange 2007. I've done away with NT DC that we had. I have a w2k3 DC sp1, but it's not a PDC. That's still on a w2k. I've done the whole global catalog switch...
I've gone thru all the steps and the last obstacle is converting my domin from a Mixed to Native.

My problem or worry is how will it effect my Exchange 5.5, becasue I still need it until I can get Ex 2007 up. I know I will have to rebuild my whole e-mail structure over once I get Ex 2007 up. Does Ex 5.5 need to be in mixed mode???

Or I'm I going to have to bit the bullet and should down my Ex 5.5??????

Thanks for any help

You won't be able to use Exchange 2007 when you still have a 5.5 box in the forest. What you will need to do is either move to a fresh forest and install 2007 in there or make the move to Exchange 2003 as an interim step and then remove the 5.5 server.
Then you can switch to native Exchange and move to Exchange 2007.

I was afriad of that bit of news...lol
Thanks for the quick reply..

I had both running with no problem. made the domain w2k3 demoted all 2000 DC's, bought 64bit server loaded W2Kr2 and exch2007 as a separate site. I even found the accounts running on the exchange 5.5 which was a bit strange, and pulled them across. I then had to disable all the accounts in exch 2007 [DO NOT SELECT REMOVE as it will delete the account from AD, found out the hard way]. Now just recreate all mailboxes on exch 2007 and point the clients to it or create a .prf.

I had them running for months like this.

All you did was to completely remove any references to 5.5. If you want to migrate then you need to go via a different (2003) version of Exchange or to a different forest.

Exchange 2007 CANNOT be installed into an Exchange MIXED MODE environment. It HAS to be installed into NATIVE Exchange. Just one of the rules of the game.

Yip MarkArnold I see your point, it was not a migration as I created a new exchange site, and left exchange 5.5 on 2000 member server. But it worked and pulled all the mail across with pst.

Thanks GrimR for the advice....
I think that the point I'm to get across. I want to create the new site on Ex 2007, but I don't want shut down my 5.5. I guess you answered my question in that going to Native Mode will not effect my 5.5, That's my only concern....

Yeah, just make sure there is no ADC or SRS already known to your forest. It's difficult to completely "undo" an Exchange install. You will effectively have two Exchange organisations; one that Exchange knows about (2007) and one that has no interction with AD (5.5)

It's not a great way to approach it but it's your party.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back