Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Migrating to 2000 from 5.5 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inq

Technical User
Feb 10, 2003
GB
Hi,

I am planning a migration from our Exchange 5.5 server which is running on 2000 Advanced Server to Exchange Server 2000. I am in need of some good techie help though.

My server layout;

NT4.0 Server - PDC File/Print/WINS
NT4.0 Server - PDC File/Print/WINS
(Don't ask why 2 PDC's, inherited system)
Windows 2k member server - Exchange Server 5.5
Windows 2k member server - File and print server/DNS

My plan would be to upgrade to Exchange 2000 and test and make sure it works properly, before moving to upgrade the servers to Windows 2000 Server.

Would you agree?

Any comments/help would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

I would not do that if I were you.
If you upgrade EX2000 first, you will not have Active Directory.
If you are going to make the move to 2000 server, make it first.

Here is a lot of reading

If the answer is here, mark it, others can benefit from it too.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!

Agreed, first things first.
upgrade the domain to win2k, then upgrade exchange.
When the time comes, remember to map so only one user for each mailbox and only one mailbox for each user, then set up ADC connector. It will relieve lots of problems.

Nicolai

Exchange 2000 requires Active Directory, so you're going to have to set it up prior to doing an Exchange 2000 install.

Here's a link to Microsoft's setup guide,

When you're ready to take the plunge on the Exchange install, make sure you follow the forestprep and domainprep steps if you're not installing it on your Active Directory domain controller. I found out the hard way and had to rebuild my server and re-install Exchange on my first try. Fortunately, it was a test system, so all I was out was my time. --Bill

Bleeman, so if I am installing E2K on my Active Directory DC, then I will not need to run forestprep nor domainprep? I am only adding one server to an NT4.0 domain (with only one PDC), gonna promote the new server to PDC, upgrade to W2K/AD, and then...? Installing E2K from setup.exe will be sufficient without the prep tools? Thanks

Follow the MS instructions in my first post, that's the way to do it. Read it all first ! [sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, excpect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC! - Marc
[/sub]

Hi Marcs41,

You really ought to make this a FAQ, since it seems like a lot of posts are for this question (sorry for the jump in on this post, but this is the best way to contact you).

Wyz

Hmm, I will have a look at that wyzard, it may be useful, if they read it before posting ;-) [sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, excpect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
[/sub]

Hi...

I wish to upgrade from Exchange 5.0 SP2 to Exchange 2000 (New Small Business Server 2000).

I have read all the above threads plus the MS articles. And I know pretty much how to approach it. But none of the articles or guides I can find describes how to upgrade from Exchange 5.0 to Exchange 2000. The articles I can find describes either upgrading from 5.0 to 5.5 or 5.5 to 2000.

I want to use the Migration Wizard which also is in Exchange 5.0 SP2, but I'm not sure it will work since the Exchange 2000 SP3 Migration Wizard only can convert Exchange 5.5 exports... Or have I gotten something wrong?

Any advice or tips are welcome

Thnx in advance

//FZRLA

Please make a new post next time, since your question is not relevant to this topic. No-one will look for a 5.0 question in a 5.5 post.

Meanwhile, ...

version 5.5 is a necessary intermediary step to move to Exchange Server 2000.
Exchange Server 2000 can connect and share data with the 5.5 version, allowing for a smooth transition to the new version once it is released -- but only if your server has been upgraded to 5.5.

Also read:

(read through to description of Figure 9)
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, excpect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
[/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back