Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Migrating Sybase DB to DB2 on AS400

Status
Not open for further replies.

shuchis

Programmer
Dec 15, 2003
US
Hello Everyone,

I am working on an application which has a part of its data on Sybase.
We are required to migrate all the data (with Tables/ SPs and of course the data) on to DB2 on AS400 as that is the main database.

We have downloaded MTK migration tool kit to do this job. But we are facing lot of issues wiht this.

It converts only 70% of the data and leaves the code whihc has Outer Joins and other sybase keywords/functions...

Here are the problems - summarized -

*) We are not able to find the coressponding fucntions/key words in DB2 for keywords like - @@SPID, ProcID, USerid or USerName etc
*) As we need to finalize the data porting strategy, we tried BCPing files from Sybase to our pc and then FTPing to AS400 server, whihc is taking around 3-4 days . we have tried other options like CPY command on AS400 but that is also taking hell lot of time.

COuld you please suggest and guide me in this direction.

Many Thanks in advance!! and hoping to get a helping hand!!

Regards,
Shuchi

1/ To find the DB2 equivalence, what are these Sybase kwds used for ?

2/ Try ftping FROM AS400 server instead since getting is faster than putting.

Thanks a lot for responding!
We have some keywords like
User_id(), USer_Name() to display the connected user (Integer and name)
Host_Name - Client Computer name connected to the Server.

There are a lot many for which we are not able to finf the equivalent DB2 Syntax.

Apologies, didnt get your second point, actually , we are converting the Sybase SPs into DB2 SPs. so didnt get the context of using FTP for this..

Would apprecaite if you could explain / help on this!

Thanks again!

Check out From there I think thaht you can find the SQL Reference Redbook that you need to help you for those keywords if any.

As for FTP, I presume that both machines are connected thru TCP/IP interface. If so, you could start a FTP session FROM AS400 as follows:
- Logon to AS400-iSeries
- On any command line type:
FTP SyBase_DNS or IP
User and password (if required)
GET /SyBase_Path/TableName AS400Lib/TableName
GET ...
QUIT

Got it!

Thanks a lot!

I will try this..

Thanks again!!

Status