Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Migrating SQL2K8E to SQL Azure via SSMSE

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimeTraveler

IS-IT--Management
Nov 20, 2001
US
Getting a db up on SQL Azure (SQLAzure) is my current headache.

The "up in 10 minutes" video doesn't run on IE/Win2k3.

However, I think I've tried every permutation of destination driver known. Global var @@IDLE has been swapped with a workaround. Same for DBCC DBCC DBREINDEX. (with ALTER INDEX) I've added "CLUSTER" to the "on PRIMARY" items.

The tool SQLAzureMW did help identify issues more specifically. But, despite running and reporting success, did not produce any tables or rows in the destination Azure db.

I can connect to the Azure db via SSMS(E) and drill around, but do not see anything. Logging in via Windows Live says the db still is 0GB.

Did search of official pages and so on, so please don't reply with anything you've read off the 1st 10 pagefulls of search results. In particular, I'm looking for the actual Destination protocol/driver to use. The ones supplied with SQL Server Management Studio R2 have have gotten me close, but no cigar. (.Net blah blah for SQL Server, SS Native Client 10.x, etc)

Thoughts? Help? Ammo? Different tool?

TIA,

S

Search for the SQL Azure Sync Tool (not sure what it's actually called). It's copy the tables and all the data from your local instance to the Azure database.

Denny
MVP
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2008 BI / MWSS 3.0: Configuration / MOSS 2007: Configuration)
MCITP (SQL 2005 DBA / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2005 DBD / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 BI)

My Blog

Thanks Denny. D/L that tool along with the other required s/w prereqs and it bombed indicating (to the effect) it was unable to create the database in Azure b/c our db was too weird.

I've tried these tools so far, with no luck moving the local db into Azure.

[blue]
None of the freely available tools below have been able to move the db objects with rows of data from SQL2K8E(R2) into SQL Azure

[ul]
[li]SQL Server 2008 Express R2 Management Studio (SSMS) [/li]
[li]SQL Server 2008 Express R2 Integration Services (SSIS) [/li]
[li]SQL Azure Migration Wizard (SQLAzureMW)[/li]
[li]Gem Query[/li]
[li]Microsoft SQL Azure Data Sync Tool[/li]
[li]SQL Server Bulk Copy (BCP)[/li]
[/ul]
[/blue]

-S

Turns out cannot do SSIS with the SQL Server 2008 Express version of SQL Server 2008 R2, has to be Trial/Developer or better. This was not explained clearly on the SQL Azure website.

Having issues now u/g Express to Trial/Developer, but expect once sorted out, that all the accompanying tools and features will enable bcp, SSIS, SQLAzureMW, et al, to do their thing.

Update

George at SQLAzureMW really helped me out by going thru my process, setup and tweaking SQLAzureMW to work. Was able to use it to push 99% of the db to SQL Azure. These tweaks are probably part of the latest release of SQLAzureMW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back