Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Migrating Server 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canadianweasel

IS-IT--Management
Apr 9, 2001
CA

We're looking to replace the existing box on which our Raptor resides. What is involved in moving it to a different (new) server?

Canadianweasel

Did you have any luck with your migration?

Migration hasn't been done yet, but the information I received from Symantec seems to be pretty straightforward. We finally managed to get the server to install it to, though we're missing a monitor cable for the switchbox. Delays, Delays...sigh.

I will update when I have completed the migration.

Moving Raptor is pretty easy. The only thing you really need is the /raptor/firewall/sg folder (minus the logs). It has all the configuration for the firewall.

Has anyone tried copying SG folder from Raptor Firewall version 6.5 to a new host having Symantec Enterprise Firewall version 7.0 ? Kindly help.

For achieving the above we have adopted the standard procedure as per standard procedure given in documentaion under heading "Moving SG Configurations from an existing to a new firewall platform on Windows NT or 2000". However, after following the last steps "When all red Xs have been
removed, save and reconfigure the firewall, and then exit the RMC and restart" , System gives the message while running MMC as follows :-
"The Key firewall could not be resolved from the GwListEntry sets fir the network interface named Adaptor1." (Here "firewall" is the name of the new
machine)
After the above all the rules defined are lost . Also even new rules defined manually are also lost after closing the MMC.

I was advised by a Symantec tech to remove any key file, remove version.out, version.raw, hawkkey (if it exists), remkey, pknif, interfaces.cf and pkgwlist from the newly created SG directory on the new machine before installing the software. (I usually just rename them) The install will re-write those with the correct information.
If the name of the new firewall is different from the previous one, I found that I also had to copy the contents of pkrule.oldname into a new file pkrule.newname so the SRMC would see the rules.

I might add the if you are running VPN those tunnels will need to be reconfigured also. I found renaming the "key" files allowed me to complete the migration successfully, as kmills suggested.

Just to clarify that I am on the right tracks to uprade from 6.5.3 to 7.0.4. Is it just a case of backing up the sg directory, uninstalling the old version, installing the new version and applying the backed up settings data? Have I missed anything and is there anything I need to be aware of?

We have been able to upgrade from Raptor 6.5 to SEF 7.0. However, CPU utilization immediately goes to 100% the moment upgraded firewall is put to use.

Kindly suggest a solution to this.

Thanks and regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back