Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Migrating objects that use shortcuts 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

friji

MIS
Jan 19, 2005
US
I just started working at a place that uses shortcuts for all their sources, targets and sequence generators. I am used to migrating individual objects between environments (Dev to Perf, Perf to Prod). When I try to migrate an object that has a shortcut to a SQN Gen and a target, I am not able to reuse or replace the shortcut objects. Since we are using shortcuts, can I only do folder migrations? We are on 7.1.1 and we do not have versioning turned on so I cannot use deployment groups. Thanks

Without versioning, you will need to migrate the entire folder that contains the actual object. It's definitely messy. We use versioning and it will handle the sync-up, but it has it's own drawbacks (like auto-checkout and others can't view your changes until it's checked back it). But deployment groups are rather slick. :)

"I think we're all Bozos on this bus!" - Firesign Theatre [jester]

Thanks Artie. What version are you on? I heard if we want to turn on versioning we should be on 7.1.2. Any other watchouts for versioning that you encountered?

Probably 7.1. Don't know if it's 7.1.2. We use versioning and it works fine. It's really just something to get used to. You'll need to get familiar with the versioning menu items and how to find all checked out objects. Deleting is a little confusing 'cause it deletes the object from view, but not the repository unless you do another process to get rid of it completely.

"I think we're all Bozos on this bus!" - Firesign Theatre [jester]

Yes definitely use 7.1.2, there are a number of important bug fixes, that can cause major headaches when using deployment groups. There is still an outstanding bug when deploying mappings that use shortcuts to sequence generator transformations. (If you need to change the start sequence number for some reason, it will not pick up the new value).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back