Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Migrating mailboxes from exchange 5.5 to 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

dino03

Technical User
Feb 25, 2003
SG
hi, i have already set up my pdc and my exchange 2000 server...currently, i have also been able to migrate my user acounts from the old exchange server to my new one.

i start the migration wizard,
but just when i was about to migrate the mailboxes, i was told to sleect the source server and was told to key in my administrator username n password. after i did that i click next .but there was an error saying "unable to logon to the server. Please verify the server name,port,account name and password"...i m sure that everything is correct. so what could be the problem? Please help... its really very urgent thanx!!!

Just a thought; I'm new to Exchange 2000 myself.

Did you try using the source server's service account rather than Administrator?

Yes... i have used thati have found some information regarding changing the port number of the LDAP of the old exchange 5.5 server to other than 389, is it this that is cuasing the problem?

somtimes you would need to use port 388 because ldap is using the port ( MS recommendation ) but it sounds to me that you are using a user with wrong permissions. be sure the user can write to AD, can write to Exc 2k ( exchange account admin ) and can at least read from the exc. 5.5

Nicolai

Hmmmmm... i have change the LDAP port of my old exchange 5.5 to 390 .....but still it doesnt work...i can access the old exchange using the administrator username n password of my new excahnge server and it could even run programs in the old server? ani more ideas wat is wrong?
when i migrate it pop out the same error "unable to logon to the server. Please verify the server name,port,account name and password"

Dino,

Have you installed the ADC to populate the Exchange 5.5 directory? There is a whole process on how to do this. You need to read the white paper documentation from Microsofts website. The ADC (Active Directory Connector) populates the Exchange 5.5 directory. I'm not sure if the migration wizard plays into this.

Zoey

But my network is a small network...and i dun think there is a need to use ADC...i have checked that according to the steps i juz need to use the admt which i already succeeded in migrating the user accounts over.....
n the next step is to use the migration wizard to migrate the mailboxes over...but sumhow i juz cant login..i have changed my permissions to service account administrators rite...y isnt it working?

Would suggest looking at this link to see what type of upgrade you performed and if you followed the steps accordingly. I still think you can setup a two way connection agreement via the ADC. Doesn't matter if your network is large or small. I'm sure you can use the Migration wizard too but not sure what the problem is you are describing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back