Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Migrating from NetWare - drive mapping issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 19, 2002
US
Hi,
We're migrating from NetWare to 2000. We moved all files from a NW volume to a 2000 share and we want to keep the same drive mappings so the users won't be confused.

In NW, we had the T drive mapped to a folder called DATA for all users and depending on their group membership, they would see different folders in the T drive. No one would see all the folders because no one was a member of all groups.

In 2000, we created the same groups with the same permissions. We mapped the T drive to the DATA folder. Only now, all the folders in the DATA folder are visible. If the user tries to click on most, they get an access denied message, but this will confuse our users because they are used to seeing only the folders they have access to.

How do I set permissions on the DATA folder in 2000 so that users only see folders within DATA that they have permissions to? I've tried all kinds of permissions and advanced permissions.

Thanks in advance.

Go into the advanced portion of the permissions and look for read/traverse. Set the permission there.

OK this is an easy one, in NT/2K you must also set the permissions on the share.

Are you using the "Net Use" in a logon script?

Simon.Skinner@avenuehkm.com

Hi,
Thank you for your suggestions. But...

The rights on the share need to be full so that users that have full rights on folders inside the share can do what they need to.

I also tried going to the advance section and giving read and traverse folder rights on the outermost folder, but then if a user has full rights to a folder within the folder, he gets an access denied to the top level.

Any other suggestions would be welcome.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back