Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Migrating from Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2007 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hcrider

IS-IT--Management
Apr 19, 2006
US
Hey gang. We are currently migrating to Exchange 2007 as the title suggests. We have heard conflicting stories as to whether it would be too much of a pain to go straight from 2000 to 2007. It was suggested to go to 2003 1st, then go to 2007. Any thoughts?

Have you looked at the other requirements as well? 2007 requires 2003 DCs and GCs in all sites with Exchange 2007 servers. You can't have any 2000 DCs in those sites without having other issues.

You can transition to 2007 from 2000.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

I'm going from 2000 to 2007 and am not having any issues. But, as Pat indicates, there are a lot of other things you have to do first...but as far as the purely Exchange issue, going from 2000 to 2007 is seemless to the users. Just be sure they're on Office 2003 or greater (prefer 2007). Outlook 2000 won't work properly with Exchange 2007.

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

There are no more PDC's! There are DC's with FSMO roles!

There is a way to get it to work but you lose so much functionality that you would be far better off to use Outlook Web Access.

Well I thought I said it wouldn't work properly, but perhaps I was mistaken...

;-)

Will any problems using a 2000 DC have any devastating affects? I only ask, because we are in the process of moving to Server 2003 -> Server 2008 (Gotta take baby steps) in the near future, but would like to get our Exchange server going and migrate the data 1st.

Also, are any ill affects reversible or would they require us to start again from scratch? In other words, would it be better to do it all at once or like we planned?

As Pat said, you should not have 2000 DC's in the same domain as Exchange 2007. So, migrate to 2003/2008 DC's first, then migrate your Exchange organization after all of the 2000 DC's have been properly retired.

I don't understand why you'd ask a question, get a proper response, and then ask if you can do exactly opposite as to what the answer was. If you want to migrate your Exchange first, go right ahead, it's your organization after all...but don't expect a lot of sympathy when you come back here afterwards asking for help to fix your Exchange issues because of the presence of 2000 DC's in your environment.

Dave, I did not mean to offend you. I simply asked a question in order to get a better response with which to give to my boss and justify my response. I was under the assumption that this was a site for such things. If not, I greatly apologize.

You're not going to offend me, I don't have a dog in that fight. But I don't understand why, after given a proper response, you'd continue on trying to justify doing the wrong thing.

The proper response for you and your boss is migrate the domain AD to contain at a minimum 2003 DC's, no 2000 DC's anywhere near the domain that your Exchange server is in. 2000 member servers are fine. Once you have completed that task, *then* bring up a new Exchange 2007 server into the environment, migrate your users over to it (making sure they have at least Outlook 2003 to avoid other issues), and you're all set.

If you don't want to do that, and instead wish to see what happens when you bring a 2007 Server up into an environment that contains a 2000 DC and then "fix" what problems occur after that, you go right ahead. You won't offend me, I promise.

Dave - I agree it doesn't work properly. You can make "improvements" from the out of the box deployment but it doesn't actively gain anything.

To be honest, 2003 to 2007 when you only have Office 2000 is pretty much a waste.

I was just picking...I didn't want to get into the issues with Outlook for exactly the reason you pointed out...unless you use Outlook 2007 along with Exchange 2007 you're losing a lot of what Exchange 2007 has to offer.

I don't know that I'd go that far. It IS much better if you're using Outlook 2007. But Exchange 2007 does give all users, regardless of client, a much better experience. You also have the advantages of the 64 bit OS.

If you must have 2000 DCs in the same site, make sure they're not Global Catalogs. But it's best to get rid of them.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

Thanks, guys. My boss asked me to do some research and check out what we've heard from some vendors. I like to get input from several sources to get an informed analysis. Not to mention that we have several non-technical people involved that always ask for more details. I greatly appreciate your your time.

I agree about the advantages of the 64 bit architecture and the back end improvements like LCR/CCR/SCR and so on but how much better is the experience of 2007 over 2003 for an end user (standard email user) on Outlook 2000?

No better than my Blackberry...I get my email, I get my calendar appointments...I reply to my email...I dismiss my calendar appointments... :)

I think, inevitably, as long as the users get their email, reply to their email...they're generally happy. Very few users use all the "fluff".

You are correct there Davetoo. User hardly ever you all of the things that come with either outlook 2003 or 2007. I am still teaching users how to use outlook 2003 to its full capacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back