Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Migrating from Exchange 2000 to Exchage 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

fmanzoor

IS-IT--Management
May 25, 2004
SA
Hi,

I'm getting ready to Migrate exchange 2000 on windows 2000 advance server to exchage 2003 on windows 2003 server and I was wondering on how to go about it. Is there any good article I can refer to with illustrations. I'm really a novice and I will really appreciate any help I can get.

Insert Exchange CD. Follow prompts. Usual kinda Next, next, next.

Restart.

Insert Windows 2003. Follow prompts.

Really is that simple BUT MS don't support it! They recommend you back up, blow it away, clean install, restore to recovery storage group and then go live.

<signature for rent>

Insert the Exchange 2K3 server disc and follow the installation menu. Stick with Windows 2K unless you need the functionality Windows 2K3 can give you (like RPC over HTTP- that requires the clients to have XP, though). Then move to Windows 2K3 later.

I had read a while ago that same thing. Do the upgrade with the disks to echange03 FIRST, as exchange2k won't run correctly on a server03. Then upgrade the server os to 03.
Any more confirmation on this out there?

What about staying on Win2K?

We are preparing to upgrade from Exchange 2K to 2K3. Does this sound like a good plan?
1) Full backup of mail and file server (windows backup utility will work)
2) Disconnect mail server from network
3) Run adprep /foreestprep on mail (AD Schema Owner)
If no errors, continue
4) Run dcdiag and netdiag
If no errors, put mail1 back on network
5) Run adprep /domainprep on fs (AD Infrastructure Owner)
If no errors, continue
6) Run dcdiag and netdiag
If no errors, proceed
Install Exchange 2003

Also, when backing up the mail server, is it advised to do a full backup? (including the m:\)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back