Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Migrating from AUDIX to MM - identifying inactive mailboxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

blshaw

Technical User
May 20, 2011
US
I am participating in a conversion from AUDIX to MM. AUDIX has about 2000 subscribers. Probably about 10 % or so of those mailboxes are no longer used, so we don't want to recreate them in MM. We have already purged all mailboxes for which there is not a corresponding object in the 3 PBXs that AUDIX serves. But the only means to know if any of the remaining mailboxes are unused to 1) evaluate every switch object (station, VDN, hunt group, etc.) for which there is a corresponding mailbox to see if calls to that object ever flow to AUDIX if unanswered (via a vector, coverage path, etc.) or 2) execute the "display activity-log" command in AUDIX (for a wide window of time) for every subscriber. Both of thee approaches are WAY too laborious and time consuming for a system this size.

Years ago I wrote a fairly simple script in ProComm that automated the second approach mentioned above, i.e. it would automatically cycle through every subscriber and execute the "display activity-log" command (for a 2- or 3-month time window) and write the results to a file. It was a thing of beauty. Unfortunately, however, ProComm is a discontinue product. Although my old 3.0 version will open under Windows XP, it will not set up a telnet connection, so I cannot use it for the current project.

With that lengthy introduction (my apologies), can anyone suggest an alternative solution to easily evaluating mailbox usage across such a large number of mailboxes? For example, is there any other communications program that can execute my ProComm script (I'd hate to have to learn another scripting language just for this one project).

Any advice would be much appreciated.

As far as i can tell ProComm is still available and all of the versions i have (and i have them all) i am able to telnet into anything. It is just the way it is installed ans if the telnet was loaded then or not.

Ken Means

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."
- Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

Thanks, Ken

I installed Procomm 3.0 from scratch, including all modules, but Telnet will not connect. While wrestling with my issue, I discovered another terminal emulator, available for both Windows and Mac, called Zoc. I downloaded a trial version for the Mac, wrote a simple script, and it works beautifully. Connects via Telnet and, overnight, it scanned all 1973 AUDIX subscribers and identified a couple hundred that had no activity for as long as the system has retained records (about 3 months).

I'd be happy to share the Zoc script with anyone who may have a need.

Brian

Any chance you could share the script and if possible any documentation on migrating users from Audix to MM. I'm about to embark on this journey and would greatly appreciate help, lessons learned, step by step, ...

Brian... any change to share the script in a FAQ post or send it to me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back