Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Migrating from a Siemens 9005 to an Option 61C 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Homerscooby

IS-IT--Management
Apr 14, 2005
US
Does anyone know where I can find details or scopes of work migrating from a Siemens 9005 to a Nortel Option 61C?

I want to insure I have all the little details and if anyone has ever done this I would appreciate your feedback.

Your customer will most likely not like the differences in how the features work.The most outstanding one is the forwarding, they will be use to system and station forwarding individual lines. Nortel doesn't work this way, when you station forward the phone the whole phone goes, you can not just forward one line. Also there is no system forwarding of each line on the phone, it goes by the prime DN which is the first key on the phone.
There are a few work arounds but they will never be happy, I have had customers come from a ROLM switch and they are just totally at a lost.
You need to explain before the install what some of the differences are, John Poole may jump in here and give you a few more details. There is a few of us that have worked on both on this forum.

OLD ROLMEN WORKING ON NORTELS AND AVAYA

I hear ya! I used to work on the Rolm switches too and what a difference!

It baffles me that with the Nortel switch you can't forward just the line on the phone. The whole phone and lines on it forwards. Unreal they can't do it! for such a simple thing! that you take for granted in the Rolm world! I ran into that, and could not believe it couldn't be done without a work around!

The Rolm switches were great! Before Siemens took it over with the 9006.

I miss the 9751!

you need to give more detail about what you have and what you are going to.

Is the nortel pbx going to a voip or tdm application?

Basically any cutover from one brand of pbx to another brand means lots of record gathering, more so, if they are both traditional pbx's. It means pulling and identifying every cross connect on the original pbx and cross referencing to the new pbx port number, what I call a tone cut (toning out every phone on cut day, easy to do on a small key system, but not so easy on a large pbx) is a very long process. programing wise you need to identify the present set up of each phone and make sure that it has the same type of features has before (boss to secretary arrangements, add-on key strips, ringing setups, call pickups groups, hunting and so on). analog phones are the hardest to identify, especially alarms and modems that are not used that often. Are the existing trunks ok as they are setup or do you have to get the dialtone provider to re-engineer them.

As I said you need to give a few details for a better answer.

this is what nortel stands for:
Nortel
Our
Rolm
Telephones
Even
Longer

no problems only solutions

strmwalker

I should have said also there that Nortel is not user friendly, for the most part no typing ? to get your options. You will need to know what LOAD to go to to make your changes if you don't have TM. TM is a GUI interface that you make changes on your PC then it goes into the switch and does them for you.

i can't type
nortel stands for: Need,Our,Rolm,Telephones,Even,Longer
- - - - - -

no problems only solutions

strmwalker

I agree, it was a beautiful machine. I still have about 10 that I take care of for the government

two things that can burn you on that migration,, the 1st being hunt_groups.. some rolms use those for listed dept dn's. they don't appear on any phone so they can get overlooked... the other that can burn is digit_t, simular to our ld 49 idc but they can be used for other apps as well.

other then that, make your phones look as much like there feaature tables as possible and change your ffc codes to match the rolms..

and the post are right, that was the Cadillac in it's day. simmons turned an almost perfect switch into a pos boat anchor

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Thanks folks; I will do much more information gathering.

Thanks JP, I forgot all about the Hunt Groups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back