Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Migrating from 7.2 to 7.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

rleflore

IS-IT--Management
May 30, 2003
US
We will be migating from Legato 7.2 to 7.3. The migration will also involve replacing the server as well.
Both server are on the Network with individual server names. We would like to keep the old name as the backup server name and use it on the new server once the migration is complete.

Old server = Sun E3500
server name = Gemini

New server = Sun v240
server name = Janus

Can anyone provide the pitfalls, or documented "gottchas" that are available that I can use as a reference?

Also,

Could we simply use a temporary license for the the New server, and backup the data using both servers?
Are the indexes from 7.2 compatible with the 7.3 version indexes?

Any info would be helpful.
Thanks!

Gotchas:

If the IP is changing on unix typically the "serial" number will change too, hence all you're licenses will need to be reimported, so check w/support to get proper codes ahead of time.

I may have a script lying around that does some of the grunt work ....I did this at my last job a few months a ago...

If you move to a new version, the indexes will be automatically converted, if necessary.

Depending on how old your temo licenses are, you would need a NW 7.3 update enabler.

I think what jouell means is the "hostid". This is not tight to any IP address on UNIX. It still is for Linux and it was for Windows ... about 9 years back.

Yes, that's it, hostid. Thanks 605. I know this will happen with Tru64 (I did a lot of prep work before our IP change a few month back), so maybe not all Unix OSes.
Still, a support call is a safe way to go.

-jouell

most of the issues people have been logging were on v7.3 servers that had been upgraded..Those that had built their networker server from scratch using v7.3 seemed to have less issues....

if it was my choice, i would configure the new nsr server manually and start off with press client and medix indexes, as long as your offsite process and tape management system is solid, any recoveries within your media retention period can just be restored using ssid recoveries.....

good luck....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back